Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Thursday 26 May 2016

Land 'O' Burns 10k

On a warm muggy night 14 Harriers headed down to Ayr for the lastest GP race. Warm ups done we assembled on the seafront ready for the off. Lots of space at the front of the field which very few seemed keen to go near so never to refuse a challenge I took my spot near the front and lead Harrier which I kept for about 20 metres. We were off 500 metres straight followed by 2 left hand turns onto the promenade heading back past the start. Naturally by this point all the other Harriers had passed me and heading into the distance. Legs feeling quite tired after a hard shift at work I was looking to just get under the hour. After running along the prom we headed into the houses near Alloway before returning to the end of the prom just after 5k then heading up the side of the river. At this point I got a rare glimpse of Phil heading in the opposite direction in the housing scheme just over 2 mins in front of me. At this point I felt quite racey for a change and found myself catching and passing other runners. A good feeling which has been missing in recent months. Continuing up through 7k towards Burns Cottage I remembered to give it a wide berth as I have scratched my head on the low thatched roof in the past. Feeling good with the pace increasing I continued to pass others and eventually running into the park with about 600 metres to go and a final push to the line. Great cheer from some of the Harriers getting me to the line in 54.22 well under the hour I was looking at. A great catch up with everyone to discuss our runs and get the news that Julie Beveridge was the Ladies winner with a time of 42.04 and Charlie McDougall was 1st M60 with a time of 42.43. Martin Howell had a scare on Monday with a tight Achilles but showed no sign of this being the 1st Harrier home in 40.37. Stephen Phimister had a great run after some recent injuries running 41.17. Next in was Julie then Charlie as mentioned above followed closely by Jim Holmes 42.51. Making his debut in the GP was Paul Rooney running a great opener of 45.14 and a big PB. Richard Lawton continued his good form with a time of 46.02 holding off Colin Banks 46.41. Next in another making his GP debut was John Boyd 46.59 and another PB holding off John McBride 47.07 with Gordon McInally not far behind 47.44. A bit of a gap after those close finishes to Phil Marshall finishing in 50.24 with Sandy Hayden hot on his heels 50.56. Then eventually me (Russell) as mentioned above. A great night for the Harriers with most delighted with there times and a couple of 1st places in the mix. Well done to all who ran and a big thanks to Neil and Cameron Green and Dot McBride and Pauls missus (sorry never caught the name) for the cheers running along the seafront.

No comments: