Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Friday 6 May 2016

A Wee Day Oot on the Way

I was reading the London Marathon reports on the blog (well done Julie and Sandra) and I realised that I’m struggling to remember my last race never mind the last race report that I posted. Having seen my crabbit face kicking about the club most of you will know that I’ve spent longer than I care to remember sidelined with injury. Well injuries (plural) to be precise and more injuries than is fair for one man – unless you’re Eddie. Two weeks ago I managed a 60km week and thought I was in sight of that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It turned out to be a crock of S*** and the plantar fasciitis returned to put me back on the sidelines.
I know there’s worse things going on in the world (especially if you’re a Labour  politician this morning )   but there’s nothing like an injury to make you feel sorry for yourself, especially on your birthday weekend (well its just one day on Sunday but nothing wrong with extending it for a few days).  I’m also missing the West Highland Way in a couple of weeks so to cheer myself up the plan was hatched to run a bit of the WHW and spend the afternoon in the pub ... everyone’s a winner.

The plan is to run from Glencoe to Bridge of Orchy, then onwards to Tyndrum and then the world’s my oyster. At the last minute my dad decided to come along and walk  the Orchy-Tyndrum bit of the route. I wasn’t convinced he really wanted to do it but maybe felt that I should have the company of a responsible adult on my adventure.

My wife thinks that somebody with a foot injury attempting 20 miles is the wrong side of stupidity but what does she know !

So here I am on the 7am Citylink. Coffee in one hand, newspaper in the other and the WHW Guidebook safely tucked away in my bag. Life’s already looking good. I just need to be careful because if I fall asleep I’ll end up in Portree.

Hopefully there’ll be a part 2
Stephen

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Have a good one Stephen. I can't see anything mad about your idea at all. I am sure all runners agree!
Alan

Davie Searil said...

Have a ball Phimi, same opinion here too - perfectly normal behaviour