Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Harriers Reunited

At Rouken Glen on Saturday it was a very pleasant surprise to meet a founder member of the club Alan Craig who now lives close to the park. Alan took time to cheer on some of the new wave of Harriers and of course some of us who were around when Alan was a prominent member of the club and whose skills ensured we have the club we have today.

A more recent Harrier Jamie Bannister has also been in contact with me. I first met Jamie when he was a pupil at Strathaven Academy when I was in my first year of teaching. A sub 40 minute 10 k at Strathclyde Park was more than enough to convince me that he would benefit from club training. Jamie now lives and works in London and his passion for distance running has been reignited. At the recent Loch Ness Marathon Jamie was 19th in a time of 2:47:51 and at the Great Scottish Run he was 41st in a time of 1:17:08. Jamie's exploits and of his fantastic group of friends can be viewed in more detail on his blog http://www.jamieontherun.co.uk/ .

All this reminds me of the old adage "Once a Harrier Always a Harrier" and I suppose the message to all lapsed Harriers is "Haste ye Back".

No comments: