Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 14 October 2013

Aviemore Half Marathon 2013

Aviemore 13th October
Having noticed BBC Scotland News reporter Jamie McIvor near to me on the start line I immediately checked my hair(!) and make-up as I naturally assumed he was there to conduct another interview, the powers-that-be having seen my triumphant debut last Sunday and decided they wanted more. For some reason he ignored my delusion and ran his own race to finish in 2:04:26 – his loss.

A first for me at the start, actually a few metres before the start, was a young lady tripping on a loose rock and falling right across my path. Naturally I jumped over her and ran on uncaringly helped her up and enquired after her wellbeing, fortunately she seemed ok and happy to carry on. No more spills after that but plenty of rough ground and, for an overall downhill course, a surprising amount of uphill running.

My day was complete when, during the last mile, a spectator called after me saying ‘saw you on the telly last week, you were great’ - I really should retire from running as of now, it just won’t get any better than this – recognised in the street! I ran on with a big smile across my face and proceeded to win a desperate sprint for the line by a whisker to finish in 1:48:38, earning a big cheer from the large crowd and my best half marathon time for a couple of years.

Note to the harriers committee, a new and much wider front door may soon be needed for the Sports Club to accommodate my swollen head.

The much younger and better-looking half of the harriers Aviemore duo, Ruth Kelly, also struggled a little on the early hills but finished strongly in 1:57:27 to banish the memory of her dodgy knee, which ruined her run at the Loch Ness marathon last month.

The winner was an Iain Jones, unattached, in 1:16:21 and the leading lady was Sheena Logan of Fife AC who was also 8th overall in 1:21:13. All in all a well organised race which I would recommend to anyone.

PS no photos with this report as I think everyone has seen quite enough of my ugly mug for a while.

David Searil


No comments: