Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 20 October 2013

MASTERS 10k TRACK CHAMPIONSHIP

Today was the 1st race in the SVHC Grand Prix (10k Track Race)
Held in its usual venue in Coatbridge. We had four Harriers taking part three of whom had raced yesterday, Frances, Stuart and Russell. Graham Lindsay joined us for this today. They have now included a walking race over the same distance which started about 20 mins before the run. I would have been better starting with them as im running the same pace as some of the walkers. Anyway onto the run and we duly got started on time and we were off. Round the 1st lap and I had taken my place at the back of the field and the leg was ok as was the time and up front I could see Robert Gilroy had already stretched into a lead (maybe I wont beat him today). Second time round and I was now in trouble down to one leg and 15secs lost on the 1st lap and Robert lapped me before the line. I duly just took it easy and considered what to do as more were now passing. About the 4th lap Stuart came past running steady and looking as well as ive seen for a while looks like hes starting to get over his injury, then a pleasant surprise Graham came past just a few yards back obviously using Stuart as a pacer. Another lap or two then Frances came past complaining this was a bad idea. Surely she couldn't be feeling as bad as I was. By this time I was considering wether or not to continue as I knew now I couldn't run for 10k. I decided I would try to relieve the leg by walking about 20m which seemed to help for a little while but I had to do it more often and it became about twice every 3 laps. Do I stop or not, the sensible thing is stop but unfortunately its not in my nature.  During all this Stuart, Graham and Frances along with everyone else kept going past again and again and to make matters worse the runners that are normally around about me were not running so I would have a lot of laps on the track myself. Anyway as I hit double figures in laps I decided to keep going and see if I could make it regardless of time. I did manage to hear Frances say to Stuart and Maud when she finished that she was dizzy like she just came off a merry go round (I think she was joking). Anyway it turned out I got 5 laps all to myself and finished with a PW 64.28. Stuart ran 43.00 followed all the way by Graham 43.02. Frances came home in 47.10 This puts Stuart and myself 4th in our age categories with Graham 3rd. Frances leads her category but will during the season move up to the next one and is unfortunately 4th in that category. I now need to consider if its worth trying to get from Brampton to Carlisle. One positive is the leg is ok now so no lasting damage done.

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Well done all four of you. I can't say it was sensible but hopefully no further damage done.
Alan