Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 14 April 2019

GOOD TIMES HAD BY ALL IN GRANGEMOUTH

A recreation of the  2018-19 Grand Prix's possibly defining moment
Today was the Round The Houses 10k in Grangemouth. With a few Harriers having to call off we had 5 Ladies and 6 Men turn up to run. a bit of a scare as the Jokers were declared as Alison Lessells let me know she may not run as she suspects she may have broke a toe and would decide after a warm up. She went to the Physio that they had at registration who suggested it was just badly bruised and strapped it up.

The mass start - spot the Harriers
Before the 10k we had another event, the 2k with Ben and Sophie Buchanan lining up. I don't have official times but Ben ran about 7 mins with Sophie running about 10 mins. That's another couple of Juniors too fast for me. Well done Ben and Sophie.
Andy paces the start well.
So onto the 10k and we all lined up on the start and we were soon off. My plan was to try and have a flyer as my last hard run before London. Andy Buchanan started in front of me with Julie Beveridge, Richard Lawton, Ian Hughes and Jim Holmes alongside me, Off round the track and I made no attempt to stay with them but still running fast for me. As we left the track Alison came past then Lorraine Buchanan. This takes us down the long straight parallel to the old start and into the little wind there was. It wasn't too bad as Grangemouth over the years has sometimes been very windy but I would say it had a small effect. Left turn and heading towards town and along here is where the course changes from old as you take another left up a street into a park just after 2 miles. At this point Lorraine was about 30 metres in front of me as I was still pushing hard and it would remain this way till we got to the side of the stadium at 7k then the wheels came off a bit but not too much. Down the long straight again into the wind to the turning point and when you get to see whos chasing you. Oh no Julie Thomson and Morgan Beaton are about 10 mts behind me and theres Gordon McInally about another 20mts back and im hurting.
Julie stretches Ian.
Got about half way back up the straight to the stadium and Morgan and Julie come past. Must try and stick with them but alas I couldn't but not falling away rapidly so got to keep it strong as Gordon is coming. Back to the stadium and the other change to the old course as you turn away into the park at the back of the stadium and thru 9k.
Morgan just past 6k on the way to a PB

As you turn for the last time to head back I caught Gordon out the corner of my eye about 15 mts behind so big push needed as Lorraine, Morgan and Julie are also still in sight. Going round the outside path of the track with about 200 mts to go and Gordons passing me. Im not havin it and push again to pull away and onto the track in front. Ive made my push has Gordon got any more alas he has and he duly passed me on the track. I crossed the line in 50.28 (chip time as will all the others be) and my fastest 10k since 2010 so pleased with that. Andrew was first Harrier home today and a better run than he had at the Tom Scott running 38.51. Ian Hughes had a good run too with 40.33 and not far in front of our first Lady Julie Beveridge in 40.42. Bit of a gap before our closest finish of the day with Richard and Jim crossing the line together in the same chip and gun time. Down to the stewards to separate them so over to the van and Richard first to see with 45.01 and 271st, then Jim's turn 45.01 and 272nd (Richard wins).


Give me 5 Mum! Lorraine brings her own supporters

Alison with definitely not a broken toe must have had them in sight crossing the line in 45.30. Next in was Lorraine with a new PB and 8.10 faster than last years time with 49.26 then Morgan also with a new PB and first sub 50 min in 49.55. Julie Thomson had let Morgan get away from her in the end crossing the line in 50.04 and a new PB by 33secs. Although Gordon and I finished close his chip time was 12 secs faster than me with 50.16. Almost perfect weather today and a well organised event. Thanks to Frances and Alan for coming along to support and take pictures its much appreciated.
I'm sure pictures will be added when available.

The photo albums from Frances and Alan.



Another Calderglen grandstand finish!


2 comments:

Kenny said...

Well done great times for all the harriers,a tribute to a good winter of consistent coaching and training.

CoachAD said...

Well done all. Great performances throughout the Harriers with many PB's and best times for many years in several cases. Note also that Julie T got a PB and Julie B was 3rd F35.
Alan