Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 April 2019

VIRGIN LONDON MARATHON

Well after months of training through a fairly mild winter the day was upon us.
Joanne and Russell had made it to London ready for the Marathon.
Sunday morning 6am rise coffee in my room showered dressed and down for breakfast.
What to have? I know the breakfast of champions. Cornflakes with mixed berries followed by toast then Bacon, Eggs, Mushrooms. Hash Brown and beans washed down with a Latte. Well I don't want to get hungry and its still about 4hrs before im going to start running. Off to catch the train arriving at Blackheath at 8.15 and a wee text to Joanne to arrange meeting place. Theres a big church as you go onto the heath and away from the crowds so perfect to be able to find someone. Joanne's coming out on a later train from the city and duly arrived at 8.45. We went to a wee van for a coffee and tea and spent a little time keeping warm and giving words of encouragement to each other before heading into the Blue start arena. Definetely a lot more people at this start than before. It appears they've spread some from the red start into the Blue to try and filter the field out in the early stages. Off to the toilets and because of the extra numbers the queues where huge. Fortunately the mens was quick for me so back to the area of the baggage lorries and a breakfast bar and water, again I don't want to get hungry. Times getting near and I haven't seen Joanne back but trust she will be doing her own thing now. 10am and there calling for the last bags for the lorries and 10 mins before the start so changed and Vaseline on and bag away. Still very cold now in just the vest and cant wait to get moving but know its going to be a while as im in pen 6. Joanne wont have a long wait as shes in pen 1. Over to the pens and 1 to 5 get in the pens with 6 to 7 getting held back as theres no room until the first 5 have gone. Trying to get in the middle of everyone to stay out the wind (Penguins springs to mind).
The hooter goes and we watch the elite go on the big screen. Times flying by and still stuck on the grass and the pens are moving very slowly. Meanwhile Joannes running starting after 5 mins 8 secs and im worrying im getting cold. After about another 10 mins the pens have moved enough to let us onto the road but still in controlled pens. The new thing this year was they would leave gaps by setting off the field in waves so further delays which I found very frustrating. Desperate just to get running Joanne has gone through 5k in 23.04 and im getting nearer the start. Eventualy after 33.32 mins ive started and almost immediately I find myself almost tripping over slower runners I even had to pass walkers in the first couple of miles and the worst thing was the Thunderbirds 6 person costume ( how did they get to start before me as the where  about 2 hrs slower). This was to be a problem for most of the first half, you see a gap to pass and then someone moves to block you and you have to brake hard and at one point I felt a sharp pain in my right knee due to a sharp stop but fortunately this eased. Joannes now gone through 10k in 46.39 then I went through 5k in 28.05 inside the pace I had set myself despite the zig zagging but I wasn't stressed or breathing hard so just let it go as I was really comfortable and knew the pace would settle to plan which it did after about 5 miles but that might be due to a toilet stop at 5.5 miles. Now feeling fully warmed up and the cool conditions were just about perfect for running with only a few points were you got a strong headwind. Joannes now through 15k in 1.10.39 followed shortly by myself at 10k in 58.00 and a minute inside target. Joannes flying and goes through 20k (1.34.42) then halfway (1.39.52) then me at 15k (1.27.49) 1.41 inside target and still feeling easy. Just after this Joanne hit 25k (1.58.35) and surprise surprise getting further away from me (guess im not getting a scalp today Ha Ha). Joannes now at 30k (2.23.03) before I hit 20k (1.58.40) and 1.20 inside target. Lost a bit there but that might have been due to extra zig zagging. then im at halfway (2.05.30) which if you forget the Strathaven half in February is my fastest half since 2013. I should have been able to see Joanne on the other side of the road at this point but with so many runners and spectators you cant pick out anyone. Joanne hits 35k (2.47.58) and still running a strong pace with that 5k split only being 22 secs slower than her first 5k. Ive now hit 25k (2.31.21) 3.39 inside pace as I had planned for a drop in pace by this point and I wasn't dropping as much as expected. Joanne hits 40k nearly there (3.13.20) and a big PB is on the cards with only a drop of 1sec per k from the previous split (impressive). Push to the finish for Joanne crossing the line in 3.24.52 and a big PB Well done Joanne. Meanwhile im approaching 30k and the soles of my feet are hurting so I stop to loosen my laces a little to try and ease the pressure on my feet hitting 30k in (3.06.36) still 3.24 inside target. Now it starts to go as the feet continue to get worse and I struggle to 35k (3.45.52) now 52 secs outside target and losing it. Hanging in now and my next 5k was my slowest with my mile times showing 13.02, 13.24 and 13.00. I really didn't want anything in the 13 minute range but these things happen. Went through 40k in (4.26.32) which was now 6.32 out of target. I had allowed for a six minute slip on the target pace so tried to pick up for the last 2k and did a bit crossing the line in 4.43.37 for a 21 min course best so will take that with bells on. Now it was time for the real race. How quick could I get to the pub. 3 pints later I better get a train back to my digs. Im on the 3rd floor I think I will use the lift. We all know stairs are your worst nightmare after a marathon. Shower and changed I now find ive got two white stripes over my shoulders. Despite the cold and cloudy conditions im burnt. A few more lagers with dinner will fix that and time to relax and reflect on the days events. Joanne over the moon with her PB and her performance. Me over the moon to have ran so well till the last 10k and when losing it did not falter as much as the last time and to improve by 21mins is a win win. To the London marathon team I have to say the organising skills to move that many people around the city are fantastic. To the many thousands of volunteers on the day Joanne and myself thank you.

4 comments:

Andrew J Buchanan said...

Well done Joanne and Russell

Jim Mearns said...

Brilliant. Well done guys! You sure you're having enough for breakfast Russell?😂

CoachAD said...

Well done Joanne and Russell. These times are only possible if you have put in the dedicated, hard work before hand and you both did.
Alan

Kenny said...

Well done to you both. PBs all round and a fantastic event.