Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 28 April 2019

Hidden Glen 10k Race Report

So back in September/October I think it was Kirsty who said on facebook that the hidden glen 10k would be open for entry soon and you would have to be quick to get a space. I remembered seeing a photo of Sandy and Kirsty after the last one in the sunshine with a beer and thinking that looks good so I set an alarm to remind me to get on the computer for the race places opening up.
When it came to making arrangements to drive up there I started thinking why did I enter a race so far away. Google maps said it was a 90 minute drive - generally if a race is over 40 minutes away I class it as too far!!
Race day came and Davie W and Sandy met me at mine nice and early at 9am to set off for the race. Kirsty had warned us it was a long, slow, windy road in. We got there nice and early about 10.30ish for the 12pm race start. This gave us plenty of time to collect our t-shirts, warm up etc. We met Callum, Kirsty, Kirsty's parents and Winston the dog as soon as we got into the barn. Me, Kirsty and Sandy were all pleased with the race t-shirt colour - pink. Davie was pleased that he had opted not to pay the extra for it.
We also met Phil & Liz and Paul & Tanya before the race started.
The race went off in waves, the first wave being under 45 minutes. We tried to talk Callum into going in that wave but he wasn't having it. The next wave was under 55 minutes and me, Kirsty, Davie & Callum all set off in that wave. Sandy had made a last minute trip to the toilet and ended up in the last wave due to the queue.
I decided just to try and stick quite close to Kirsty and Davie. The first 2k is out and back along an undulating road, the first 1k more up than down and opposite on the way back. On the way back I came past Davie on a downhill section as I've been learning to let myself go and not hold back too much on the downhill.
The next 4k was pretty much uphill, you had to run through a pretty wide stream so after that I decided there was no point in running round puddles just to go straight through them sticking to the middle, tho there was one puddle which was knee deep that I avoided on the way back. I managed to overtake a few people who were going round the puddles and best of all I managed to pull away from the heavy breather who grunted with every breath.
I could see Kirsty ahead of me on the long drag up and I was slowly catching her, I had to walk at one point but ran again when it flattened out before it went up again. Tehre was a piper at the turning point and it was a welcome sound to hear him and know there wasn't much more of the hill left. I caught Kirsty at the turning point and pushed on down the hill. The last 4k was pretty much all downhill and I really loved running down it to the finish.  This section really made the first 6k worth it. I finished in 45th position (15th female), in a time of 51:11.
Callum was first harrier home in a brilliant 21st position in a time of 47:25, next home was me (Alison), quickly followed by Kirsty in 52:02, and Paul not long after in a time of 54:12, Davie was next home (his marathons finally catching up with him) in a time of 58:35 and then Sandy, although with Sandy starting at the back she had a quicker chip time of 57:51. Phil and his wife Liz ran round together and both finished in a time of 82:00. Pauls wife Tanya also ran and finished in 72:37.
Everybody was pretty wet and freezing so we all got changed and got our free pint/juice before heading off.
Overall it was a well organised event - worth the drive and I would do it again. The route started and finished on the road with the middle section on forest road. I was glad I opted for trail over road shoes. There was 409 finishers and the winner was Matthew Sutherland from Central AC who finished in a time of 36:05 almost 4 minutes clear of 2nd place!
Thanks to Kirsty parents for coming to support and stand waiting in the pouring rain for us all to finish.

Alison

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done all on great times in what is usually classified as a scenic course (aka very hilly). Great report too Alison. Keep the race reports coming!
Alan

Karen said...

Well done guys! Sounds like a good run and a lovely (albeit wet) day out :)