Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 April 2019

Alloa Half Marathon

Having first entered the race in 2017 and having had to pull out due to an injury, I agreed to give it another go this year with Sharon (who actually managed to run it in 2017). I heard the race was hilly in parts so decided to do a 12 week hilly training plan. Hilly reps and long hilly runs where the order of the season. Much to the pleasure of my training buddies (thanks for doing these with me girls).

Training was going well until ten days before the race when a piece of kitchen panel fell on my foot. I was worried that was me out and leaving Sharon to run solo for a second time. Luckily with a few days rest and ice I seemed to heal quickly.

The day of the race came it was perfect conditions. We set off the start was really congested with parked cars and speed bumps to contend with was hard to get pace going.
Pre-race number filling
After about a mile and a half it filtered out. And was generally flat with a few minor inclines. Until the hill at and for most of mile ten which was when I was glad I done all those hill reps! I managed to run up it but it took till mile 12 to get my breath back.

As we approach the final 400 meters I realised I was on to a good time. As we crossed the line I was delighted to have got a time of 1hour 55 min and 37 seconds (a 2 minute and 59 seconds pb not 3min as I first thought) but more so that I had been able to take part with Sharon this year!
Julie T

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done Julie and Sharon. That's a big PB too. More to come for both of you this season I predict.
Alan

Sharon G said...

Cheers coach