Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 May 2024

Edinburgh Marathon - To Do or Not To Do?

A last minute opportunity arose for a place in the Edinburgh Marathon. Not ever having run a marathon before, indecision ruled the day. 

It's not the sort of thing you do casually but recently my running has been without any focus as all of the shorter races that I usually do were sold out 10 weeks in advance (not sure I mentioned my displeasure to anyone). Anyway that left me just looking for something different. I was thinking I would just take it easy and get round but the devil on the other shoulder said "dont be daft you've no chance". 

I sought some advice. 

Alan asked " why would you want to do a marathon without 6 months of training ? " 

Karen said " do it , but be prepared to hate parts of it and to hate yourself for agreeing to do it " 

Neither had been to motivational school ! 

A guy in my work said he had checked on Strava and that I was good to go, the data said so ! In fact Garmin predicted a 3:30 time (if only). 

So on Friday night I made the decision to go for it. Hardly time to make arrangements never mind carb loading. 

The logistics were a bit tricky because it starts in central Edinburgh and finishes in Musselburgh. 

I decided to drive to Ingleston and get the tram into Edinburgh. The rain was bouncing and wipers were at full speed, but the tram was an easy journey to Princess St. I sat next to a guy on the tram who unloaded his provisions into his running pack. He must of had 10 gels, 2 Mars Bars, packets of electrolytes, granola bars, and then filled every last space with Jelly Babies and Wine Gums. By the time he finished I was having a meltdown about my lack of provisions.  

After dropping my bag I had some time to kill and everyone was just trying to find a bit of shelter. 

For a marathon that's known as generally having good weather, it's hard to describe just how cold and wet it was. 

I had printed off a pace band for 4 hours, not because I was chasing a time but just so that I had an idea of where I was on the course. That disintegrated in the rain even before the start. 

A 4 hour marathon was around 5:30 - 5:40/km so that was my approximate target, at least through the first 30K. 

Although no marathon experience I've been around so many people in the Club that at least I thought I understood the mechanics. I knew that it was about getting through the first 30k unscathed. 

My pen was quite far back so it was a slow start. In fact it was a very slow start. It starts in the old town and drops quite steeply into Princess St Gardens which is very narrow. Past the Parliament and into Holyrood Park where it was so narrow it was almost unrunnable. Maybe I was just too far back but the first 5k was really congested. I can only really compare to the Glasgow Half but I think that was much more runnable. 

By the time we were onto the coast the rain had stopped but there was a biting wind coming off the sea. 

I have to say the crowds were amazing on the way out. Why people come out in the pouring rain to support random runners I'll never know, but very much appreciated even though most of the cardboard signs were disintegrating. 

I've never taken any more than 3 gels so I was worried about taking too many. I targeted 1 every 50 mins. Somebody also gave me half a dozen Salt Stick electrolyte tablets. I was really, really worried about taking these so waited until we were near Mussleburgh to try one in case I needed emergency facilities. It turned out they were quite pleasant. 

I was very conscious of not going too hard so kept an eye on my km splits. 

So here's my gripe. I thought a marathon was quite sociable and it would be chatting all the way round. In reality it felt like just about everyone had headphones in. As I came out of Mussleburgh I got in tow with a guy at my pace and we chatted away which kept me going for the next 10k or so. 

Things were going remarkably well as I went for Gel at the turn (around 28k) only to find that I must have dropped 1 or 2 and I only had 2 left to see me home. I decided to keep one for 32k which gave me one more for 37k. 

There wasn't as much of a crowd on the way back but I was running steady enough. In fact if I changed the pace at all, even slowing, I was starting to get cramp twinges. So I was just trying to keep the effort and pace steady as the KM rolled by. My biggest problem were the soles of my feet because my trainers and socks were soaking before the start of the race.

Through 37k I couldn't face my last gel and decided just to battle it out. 

Ironically as I got to the last 400m I tried to pick it up and my calf seized. I was raging. There was no way I was walking down the finishing straight. Think of all those photographers.  I slowed down to free it off and got moving again. 


I was delighted with a sub 4 time off the back of no specific training. I have to say that having a totally stress free run without chasing a time was most enjoyable. Maybe it will catch on ... everybody could have one "race" a year where they just do it for the shear pleasure of running. 

As a marathon I don't have anything to compare it to but I sensed it was probably on the low-end scale of things. 

Although we crossed timing mats on the course there was not tracking or 5k splits available. I stuck an Air Tag in my pocket which worked quite well in terms of tracking general progress (and Frances would at least know if I ended up in Edinburgh Royal). 

The buses back into Edinburgh were queued but then it must be difficult to move that many people and you need to expect a bit of a wait. 

A couple of really negative points 

- they lifted the bags out of the baggage trucks to reduce queuing time but leaving bags in the open air when it was pouring down was nothing short of ridiculous. 

- they also ran out of medals later on. For people that are running 5 or 6 hours they have suffered for their craft and to not get a medal on the day was really unforgivable. 

It is known as a fast flat course and maybe it is if you get a wave near the start, but certainly not further back (I moved into a 4 hour hour pen). 

Anyway to finish on a positive, for me it was about trying something different. Admittedly it was a fairly modest time which many in the club have better times this year, but it gave me such a boost. I have my running mojo back. Anyone for an October marathon ?

Stephen

No comments: