Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 7 May 2018

SVHC Trail Race - Pollok Park

Since I forget that the SVHC Snowball race was on Wednesday, I decided to head to Pollok Park on Sunday for the 7k trail race. On arrival at Cartha Rugby Club Russell Couper was already registered and complaining about the heat. Given that Russell has been carrying an injury it was good to see him today.

The route consists of 2 laps of the trails within the park. The weather was pretty warm by the time the race started at 1.30pm, 19°. The trail is pretty narrow in places and you have to be very careful of the overhanging branches, tree roots and the mud. The entries were down this year and after about 2k I had no-one in front to follow. The route was marked with red and white tape placed on tree trunks and branches throughout. However, when you're busy watching where to place your feet it's quite easy to miss the tape and take a wrong turn, which I did! Unfortunately, there were 2 other runners who followed me but after a quick look about we found the tape and were all back on the correct path again.

The conditions were a lot muddier than last year with a few runners taking a tumble along the way. My time of 41:25 was almost 2 minutes slower than last year but on chatting to some of the other runners it seems their times were slower too. Russell finished in a time of 55:18. Just for the record I wasn't the only one who took a wrong turn.....
Frances

5 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done Russell & Frances. I must admit, I thought about doing the race but was still feeling a bit light headed so easily convinced myself that I didn't need a drive through to Glasgow from Callander on my holiday weekend (I ran up Ben Gullipen instead). I had also had a look at the trails on my regular Wednesday/Friday lunchtime runs through Pollok Park from work through the week and it looked like a bit of a quagmire. I'm glad the Harriers were represented though.
Alan

russell couper said...

Thanks Frances. yes I did take a wrong turn. Well veered to the right a bit and lost my way. You can see it on Garmin about half way round the first lap a nice wee triangle created on the map. It shows when you only run 10 miles in 4 weeks a big loss of fitness exposed on a tough course with heat.

Eddie said...

Alan I hope you’re taking this in for the W/H/W as we can’t look after any one that can’t follow a marked course.

CoachAD said...

Good point Eddie. That leaves only about 4 Harriers we can trust to stay on course!

Davie Searil said...

As many as that?