Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Thursday 3 May 2018

Whangie Whizz 7k Hill Race Carbeth (past Milngavie)

4 harriers lined up for this one, so excuses are in for the Thursday TT already. We were all there for different reasons - Ian Hughes was planning to run 6 of the "Bog and Burn" races as it qualifies you in the grand prix (not too sure how it works, better ask Ian), Joanne was testing her legs after London and feeling a bit jaded after Monday's session (she ended up deciding to just run round with her cousin John), Sandy had been dying to try out her Salomons and run a hill race, me....just to get racing again, my race was more about the downhill.

It was well organised in a local farm shop car park with the start just over 1 mile away up a farm track. Many were walk /jogging trying to avoid working the legs too much before the start. It was dry with a cold wind and I knew it was going to be boggy with recent rain fall. We were soon off running uphill and working hard within seconds. Ian was gone in to the distance, I was last just behind Sandy (she started too fast), Joanne's cousin John was in front of Sandy, so I though "what about plan for easing the legs back?"... lasted about 5 seconds as Joanne was gone too. The initial mile or so was all over loose and jagged rocks which made you have to choose every step, usually from left to right looking for a firm grip. After clearing that, we hit some really boggy terrain where you could lose your shoe.

The leaders were starting to run by in the opposite direction, so I knew we were close to the turn. Eventually we hit the road and a Marshall directed us to the right, this is great as we are on tar and a nice recovery. However, after about a mile, it just didn't seem right.....it was too long and no sign of a turning point. I asked a bloke in a caravan and he said that we had missed the turning point. Shambles! Sandy was just behind me and another 2 runner behind her. We all decided to scramble over the rough cross country and try and get back on route. Talk about first man on the moon, I think we were first humans to ever cross that piece of land. The ground was soaking and just clumps or holes, climbed two 8ft fences (think they were 6ft, but they are getting bigger each time I tell the story), jump a 5ft ditch, managed to run over the top of the Whangie and ironically ended back on course with about 400m to go! Felt like we had ran twice the distance!

Ian was 41 mins, Joanne 43 mins, Sandy and me 72ish mins. I felt cheated out of my long awaited down hill decent but glad to get back without a search party. I think there should have been a Marshall at the second turning point, but I'll know for next year.
George

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Well done all 4, particularly those who decided the proper course was not challenging enough! Great report too.
Alan