Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 May 2018

MONKLANDS HALF MARATHON

Hundreds of photos taken by Julie T's husband now added to this album!
Sunday 13th May really was a great day for a run! 13 Harriers descended on to the bonnie town of Coatbridge to take part in the Monklands half marathon and for the first time in 14 years the reigning champion Robert Gilroy was not on the start line, therefore we all had a chance of winning it.
The weather was overcast but we expected the sun to appear at some point which it suitably did half way through the race. On the start line we had Andrew J Buchanan, Richard Lawton, Jim Holmes, Gordon McInally and Russell Couper representing the men and representing the ladies we had Julie Beveridge, last years female winner, Karen Allen, Kirsty Wilson, Sharon Gregg, Julie Thomson, Sandy Hayden, Lorraine Buchanan and Holly Rankin.
I turned up to the start line on the back of some good performances at recent races and expected to put in a good performance. Having recced the course a few weeks earlier I was well aware of what to expect and when to put the boot down and when to dig deep.
I started on the line next to Sharon, Julie, Sandy, Holly and Gordon, this pack stayed together for few hundred meters until Sharon broke off and was not to be seen again until the finish. This pack then split within the first mile upon which I was able to overtake Russell who in the past few weeks had been struggling with an injury however felt ok to compete in this race. We ran into Drumpelleir park past the first water station and continued on the undulating course through the park peaking at the top of the hill upon which we ran on the Lanarkshire Road Relay’s. It was after this point we began our decent towards the Monklands canal, down Blair road and along Glasgow road were we then began our climb back towards Drumpellier park. The climb into Drumpelleir park was long and arduous, after this climb it was back into the park for lap 2. It was during the run in the park we had our Calderglen Cheerleading squad of Anne McLellan, Ian and Seonaid Morton with Andrew and Noah Thomson further ahead on photography duty, all encouraging us on our laps of the park.
During the first lap I was feeling strong I had managed to maintain my position with Julie Thomson hot on my heels where at mile 7 Julie over took me going in to lap two. At this point the sun decided to appear causing a different type of battle upon which us peely-wally scots are not used too. There were two water stations upon the course, which as we were doing 2 laps became four water stations, they were ideally situated and at every opportunity I rehydrated as I began to feel the effects of the heat. In this second lap I was certain that I would be caught by Russell and Holly, I anticipated this up until I passed our cheerleading squad, however as this hadn’t happened and I was going in to mile 12 I knew I was having a good run, this urged me to glance at my watch upon which I realised I was having a really good run! Going into the last mile I knew I was on to a PB which spurred me on even further. We finished the race as we started on a grass verge by the entrance to St. Ambrose School I crossed the line in 2hrs 2min 58secs beating my previous PB of 2hrs 7min 57sec.
I have to say this race was really well organised by North Lanarkshire Council, knowing that the roads would not be closed I thought it would be quite chaotic. However, there were sixty marshal’s on the route and all strategically place in the correct positions.
A huge congratulations to Julie Beveridge who took the second female prize in a time of 1hr 31min 10sec.
The finishing order was as follows
Andrew J Buchanan 1hr 29min42 sec     Julie Beveridge 1hr 31min 10sec.
Richard Lawton 1hr 39min 42sec A PB   Jim Holmes 1hr 40min 06sec
Karen Allen 1 42min 19sec                        Kirsty Wilson 1hr 42min 46sec
Sharon Gregg 1hr 46min 06sec A PB      Julie Thomson 1hr 58min 39sec A PB
Sandy Hayden 1hr 59min 04sec              Lorraine Buchanan 2hr 2min 58Sec A PB
Gordon McInally 2hr 04min 53sec.         Holly Rankin 2hr 06min 51sec. Holly’s first half marathon.
Russell couper 2hr 11min 01sec.

Thanks to Lorraine for the report and our many cheerleaders on the day.

7 comments:

russell couper said...

Great report and run Lorraine. You might get the job permenantly. Have you seen my hair anywhere someone said you where seen leaving Coatbridge with a few scalps.

CoachAD said...

Lorraine, what an informative report on a great set of performances. Glad to see so many PB's from the ladies, proving that your marathon training is going well. As Russell says, you have now qualified as a regular blog reporter!
Alan

Karen said...

Great report Lorraine :-) I enjoyed run too and was also impressed by organisation, it was tough course but would definitely do it again and would recommend the race to anyone considering.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant report Lorraine. Well written. I have to agree that North Lanarkshire Leisure organise this race very well (and also the Cumbernauld 10k - no wonder it got an award this year). It was great to see the women’s section well presented. We are beginning to see the women’s section growing and so many want to go out and represent the club in races - be it Parkrun, hill races or ultras! I cannot remember a time that I have been at the club when the women outnumbered the men in a Grand Prix race.

Julie

Kenny said...

Well done to all the harriers for having such a strong representation. It is great to see so many women runners and the results show that the marathon training is really paying off. A special congratulations to both Lorraine and Richard for getting a PB.

Malcolm Buchanan said...

Surprisingly this was one of my favourite half marathons. Thinking of the many races I had run, this course suited me. I remember on the last big lap, the watering station had run out of water and only had sponges. I foolishly just gave the sponge a large sook and discovered the horrible taste of the sponge. Never again. Great report and well done to all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Julie T’s husband for the great photos.

Julie