Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 January 2016

The Greenmantle Dash

Today Dad and I went to the Greenmantle Dash at Broughton near Biggar. This is my race report - I hope you like it.

When we got to Broughton we parked the car right at the door of the Village Hall so that Dad could get in to registration and have a quick change in to his running gear. Today he was wearing his shoes of many colours again.

Once Dad was changed we started heading over to the brewery where the race would start, but first of all I asked Dad if I could go over to the wall where the runners would be jumping over and into the river. So we went over where I could stand and got in a good position, I wished Dad good luck before he ran over to the start.

About five minutes later all the runners came into sight running across the playing fields - but I couldn't see Dad yet. After another 30 seconds I could see a black and yellow top coming towards me and it had to be Dad! I got my camera ready and caught him stepping carefully over the wire fence before running into the river (a few people fell in!).

Once through it Dad followed the race across a marsh, and then started the first climb, followed by the main 600ft climb straight up and back down a hill. I made my way to the finish to see him come in but took a different route from before and photographed them on the hillside.

I next saw Dad at the finish where he admitted he had slipped on the final bit of the descent down the hill and his left knee and gluteus maximus were sore and ‘skint’ as a result…..even so he had a big cheesy grin on his face.

Once finished he went and had a bath in the river under the bridge at the finish - or at least cleaned his shoes and legs - then we went inside and got some warm soup and a roll which was great.

Next year I’ll be running the kids race since the prizes handed out to each finisher seemed to be two bottles of beer each !!!  And I won’t be handing therm over :)

Gavin

PS From ‘Dad’ - is this the first time in recorded history I have finished a race with anything other than a grimace on my face ????

4 comments:

CoachAD said...

A great report from Gavin on a strong performance from David. Surely Gavin is our youngest blog post author and photographer. I look forward to more reports from Gavin in the future as am sure his Dad will give him many opportunities.
Alan

Davie Searil said...

Great read Gav, I think I'll give up the race reports - I'm clearly too old! Excellent report young man.

Kenny said...

Gavin, a great race report complete with photographs and you even managed the Latin term for a skint knee!Well done,I look forward to reading more of your tales and exploits and your report from your next race.
Kenny

Anonymous said...

Great report Gavin you certainly brought a smile to my face, as well as your Dad's
Billy B