Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 2 July 2011

Vertical Mile 2011 Race Report

20 harriers (according to my finishing times it was only 16 though) made the 3 mile jog to Auchentibber to compete in the clubs annual vertical mile race. The traditional finale to our Grand Prix series.

Some misplaced trust was put in me to referee and time keep the event. For practise I'd also been assigned the role of back up timekeeper at last weeks trail race. Fortunately I was just a back up to the professionals, as I accidentally stopped the watch early.........twice. Ooops!! So hopes weren't high that I'd successfully complete the same task for the vertical mile. However fears were unfounded, there was a massive improvement. I only stopped the watch early once...........result (I don't think).

Writing down names and times of harriers, when some were having sprint finishes, was a tough challenge that I achieved........most of the time. Even my brainwave of enlisting the help of my mammy wasn't the success I'd hoped. I was shouting out first names of harriers for her to write down as they crossed the line. This went well until two David's crossed the line less than 0.5 seconds apart. Thanks for nothing Herbertson and Wardrope. I'd to sheepishly ask them later who finished first between them. So much for the referees decision is final.

Worse was to follow when an unfamiliar face to me was fast approaching the line. Trying to scan the entry list for a name and record their time at the same time was the final straw, causing my fragile coordination to malfunction. Panic set in and the stop button was pressed with four harriers still on the course. My back up watch also hadn't started, so the system was in complete meltdown. Sorry to Karen, Russell, David and Richard. I'll refund your entry fee. Fortunately they are all real athletes and were able to provide me their times.

The drinks service Russell asked me to provide on the finishing line was also a disappointment. I was too busy trying to work out why the back up watch hadn't started and completely forgot the one thing he'd asked me to do. Couldn't see what the problem was though, as he finished 68 seconds quicker than last year he'd ample time to do it himself.

The race itself nearly descended into a farce when a land rover pulled out in front of the field halfway up the hill. This almost made our Grand Prix more realistic. It was like the safety car had been deployed, which would cause the gap between the leaders to be reduced. However fast thinking Eddie decided that overtaking the safety car would not incur a penalty run through and the rest of the field followed.

Some excellent performances were achieved on the night. Ian Hughes was first finisher in 6.39. Obviously he'd recovered from being gubbed by the race referee at Tuesday night's St Christopher's 10 mile bike TT :-). He joins a select group of back to back winners. In second place, for his fourth time in this race, was Eddie Reid in 6.55. Even more impressive considering he'd an 80 minute run the night before. His pre race taper isn't so impressive though and needs some serious thought. Hot on Eddie's heels in third place was Jim Holmes in 6.58. His first podium finish.

The ladies winner was the ever improving Julie Beveridge in a time of 7.49. Run away Grand Prix winner Frances Maxwell was second in 8.09 and first timer Karen Sturgeon was third in 8.50.
Other first timers to the vertical mile's two hour post race cough were Julie, Grant and Richard. Hope that irritating cough doesn't put them off returning next year.
The full list of race times are;

1. Ian Hughes 6.39
2. Eddie Reid 6.55
3. Jim Holmes 6.58
4. Neil Green 7.11
5. Graham Ramage 7.21
6. George Stewart 7.30
7. Andy Henderson 7.43
8. Stuart Waugh 7.45
9. Julie Beveridge 7.49
10. David Herbertson 7.53
11. David Wardrope 7.53
12. Billy Buchanan 7.57
13. Ian Rae 8.07
14. Frances Maxwell 8.09
15. Grant Maynard 8.22
16. Colin Banks 8.47
17. Karen Sturgeon 8.50
18. Russell Couper 8.52
19. David Searil 9.01
20. Richard Lawton 9.10

Well done everyone.

Martin

1 comment:

athlete_sg said...

Hello all,
Just to say I may have gone but I log on to this blog frequently and always find it a good read. It's great to see Calderglen Harriers going from strength to strength.

I just wondered if anyone from the club was planning to do the Aberdour Donkey Brae Race this year on 30th July? I've only done it once, 3 years ago, and feel another visit is overdue. Feel free to let me know- 07799713772.

Sincere apologies for having to call off from trail race marshal duties at very short notice.

Stuart Gibson