Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 30 July 2011

Tour of Fife Day 3 - "A Walk Over"

When I looked at the races ahead, I had this one down as an easy night. It’s only 1.4 mile after all and nicely primed half way through the 5 days. Just shows how the memory fades in a year! Now that the first 2 races are over, I’m faced with 3 in a row that I did last year. They always keep the “Up Hell Time Trial” and the “Chariots of Fire” races and interchange the rest. The script for tonight is off in 2’s (completely random selection) and at 30 second intervals. I had secretly been thinking that this is my chance to beat Julie tonight. Well, I was ahead of her in the Vertical Mile after all and was going to pull out all the stops. So, my only ever once worn “pumpkin” racers were coming out the box for this one! My previous time was 14.36, so that gave me a further challenge.


I arrive first at Falkland, as you need to go there to declare yourself and get your starting time, and who was I paired with?.... yes, you’ve got it... Julie!!

Last year I never took the car up the hill, as I just didn’t want to see what was ahead. It was a good idea, but probably suffered not knowing the exact finish line . However, this time we went all the way to the top. What a view, you can see for mile and miles across the fields of Fife and Largo hill in the distance. A jog down the hill was perfect as a warm up for us both, but you can't help running fast as your body weight just takes you down the slope. 20 minutes later our names are called by the race marshals and we have our toes on the line awaiting the countdown. And we’re off!......neck and neck for about 200 meters then I forge ahead several meters, but by this time my chest is absolutely heaving and the stride has almost gone. 2 minutes later and I’m walking, with still 2k to go! Luckily for me Julie wasn’t actually gaining any ground......and that’s how it went all the way up the hill, walk a bit...run a bit. So, in 14.07 it was all over...staggered over the line...with Julie at 14.22. We then got our reward, a drink of orange and a packet of jelly beans!!

Although, I may have complained about the difficulty once or twice it was a well organised race and one that doesn’t compare with anything else you’ll ever do. When the runner arrive at the top, they all remain at the top and line the course, so you have plenty of support. Like last year, the race organiser, Brian Cruikshanks is dressed in a devils costume and taunts some of the runners with his fork and water pistol. Plus, lots of runners are also in fancy dress, but not me for a change!

In terms of times...the male record was set in 2003 by Andrew Lemoncello at 9.44 and was only the second person ever to have gone under 10 minutes. However, tonight we had the first two leading men of the tour break the 10 minute barrier in 9.48 and 9.52. The ladies record stands at 11.39, set in 2008.

Results – Julies sister, Louise 4th female 13.20 (52rd position) George 38.15 (74th position) and Julie 11th female 14.22 (80th position)

Overall - Julie’s sister, Louise 5th female 1.25.04 (54th position), Julie 9th female 1.28.25 (65th position) and George 1.30.04.....1min 39sec behind! (75th position)

Loads of pictures available on http://www.roadrunpics.com/.
George

2 comments:

Lou said...

Good running George and Julie!! And can't wait for tonight's blog - lets just say it was a very closely fought battle between calderglen's finest tonight.. but who triumphed??

Louise (Julie's sister)

russell couper said...

My My you both had a real fight on day 4. I hope there was no scratching or biting. george you certainly were not going to give up the contest without a fight
With 1 event to go who will take the final victory cant wait to see. Again great running from you both. Remember its Chatlerault on Monday, no skipping training. Perhaps we could let you have one day off.