Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Friday 29 July 2011

Tour of Fife Day 2 - George Strikes Back (well not quite).

Well, the weather was a definite contrast to the previous night, as it had been raining for most of the day. I had remembered form last year that day 2 was the worst. I think it’s the shock of being on the starting line up with sore legs. Once this one is over, they are just sore all the time, and you kind toughen up. It wasn’t long before Julie (with the watch this time) appeared, looking a bit on the tired side too. We wondered down to look at the route map posted on a board to see what was in store for us tonight. I suppose it was squareish with lots of spiky bits. It didn’t really mean much, but then someone pointed out that it was actually 3 and a bit laps!! A few people, including Julie ran a lap to test it out...and the verdict - muddy as hell, a couple of nice hills and it was 1.2 mile. The route was 400m on tar, then you’re up through the woods and 2 decent hills (hard, but not log jams difficulty), back down the hill, on to another 400m of tar and over a field leading to another bit of forest before being back at the start. The final lap had about 600m added to it to get it up to about 4.25mile.


So, the gun goes and we’re off. I thought that I’d take it a bit easier at the start and try to stay with Julie for at least one lap, then see how it goes. But as we came off tar, the trail was like running in the glen down to the express way, far too narrow and I got completely boxed in for a bit. I had to almost stop and get to the outside to pass people. I could see Julie, but she was running strong and was passing people all the way. Loads of people had experienced a bit of unexpected break dancing and body popping by now and it just got stickier as the laps rolled on. As I came off the tar at the start of the second lap, I could hear George Black (he used to train Eddy as a boy!) saying “she’s only 50 metres ahead”. So, as I came off the hill and back onto the second piece of tar, there’s Julie on her knees tying her shoe laces. I got to within 10 metres of her, but she can obviously tie quicker that I can run, so I never really caught her. As I started the third lap, I could see Julie ahead still picking people off, but I was running in a void by then. No-one passed me, but I only really passed people on the run in. So, it’s 2 – 0 to Julie so far! Perhaps Friday night will be different?

Results – Julie’s sister, Louise 6th female again 35.14, Julie 9th female 36.21 and George 37.42
George

1 comment:

russell couper said...

Looks like a well done for George the individual times arent on for Fridays time trial race but judging from the totals looks like George has reduced the deficit on Julie by 15secs to 1:39 so he keeps the series alive with 2 races to go. well done to you both.