Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Friday 3 June 2011

Scottish Masters Track Championships

Two and a half harriers made the trip to Meadowbank Stadium for the national masters track championships. Bizarrely ex harrier Kevin Downie was listed as Calderglen & East Kilbride in the programme. Even more bizarre was my event, the 1500m. A track race should be relatively straight forward. A perfect running surface with no obstacles, but it turned out to be one of my weirdest races.

The first 100m were into a strong headwind, so I decided to take shelter in the pack. However approaching the first bend one runner suddenly adjusted his position and caught my foot. Down I went, faster than a striker in the penalty box. It's the first time I've fallen in a track race. I got myself up to see the pack disappearing round the bend about 20m in front. Gradually, by working harder than I wanted, the gap was closed. Midway through the second lap and I was back in the race. I was just settling back into the pack when the runner in front stumbled. Before I could say I'm a track runner get me out of here, I was cart wheeling down the track. I was down for the second time. When I stopped rolling I was facing in the wrong direction and all I could focus on were a couple of pairs of running spikes trying to hurdle over me.

My main rival in the race was Keith Farquhar from Metro Aberdeen, we've had some close battles in the past but, lying on the track I knew he was too far ahead to catch. My first reaction was frustration but then I just had a bit of a giggle to myself. I thought for a few seconds on whether I'd had enough and should just walk off the track. If it had been a horse race I'd have been pulled up, but Calderglen Harriers are a tough bunch and don't give up, so off I went again. I thought if I catch a few runners it would be a bonus. 300m to go and a time of 4.03 was called out. I then realised I still had a chance to get under the medal standard of 5.00. Pushing hard into the wind I came home in 4.57, which surprisingly was enough to gain a silver medal in the M45 age group. Keith won in 4.37.

With two falls in this race and a fall in the national cross country earlier in the year maybe it's a sign that I should take up fell running. Boom, boom.

Before the race I was worried that running in spikes would injure my suspect calf, but ironically it was just about the only part of my body intact at the end of the race. I'd skint knees, elbows, back, ankles and a spiked foot. If that can happen in a track race I don't hold much hope for Stirling triathlon this weekend, where I broke my collar bone a few years ago. 

Stuart Waugh also had a great performance in the 5000m, winning an M60 silver medal in a time of 19.26. The overall race winner was Kevin Downie with a time of 16.29.


Well done to all and thanks to Martin for the report.

No comments: