Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 June 2011

25th Anniversary Islay Half Marathon

(Update 19/06/11 - Looks like at least a half dozen Harriers are signed up for Islay and B&B's in Bowmore still seem to be available).
The Islay Half Marathon used to be an annual fixture in the Harriers' calendar until a few years ago when it seems we perhaps all got too old to handle the pace of what can be an exhausting weekend (and that doesn't include the race!). As this year is the 25th Anniversary of the event, I am planning to go back and run the race for the first time in 8 or 9 years. The race is on the morning of Saturday 6th August. However my intention is to follow our traditional pattern and head to Islay on the Friday afternoon, do the race in the morning, pace myself through the very liquid prize giving and survive until the Ceilidh on Saturday night. All this takes place in Bowmore. I would  then get the afternoon ferry back on Sunday with a little bit of Sunday morning sight seeing and beach action beforehand.

The big problem is the limited accommodation available in Bowmore (and its best to stay in Bowmore as that is where everything happens) as I have left it a few months too late to organise. I have secured every available room in the Lochside Hotel for the Friday and Saturday (OK, there is only one single room and one small double room left!) and am holding these rooms on my credit card. I will take the single room. The rooms are expensive (£57.50 per person per night B&B) and I know this will put people off. I will hold the double room until this Friday and then let it go if no one wants it. There are several B&B's in Bowmore which are a bit cheaper. Details on www.islayhalfmarathon.co.uk where you can also download the entry form. You also have to budget for the ferry from Kennacraig (Tarbet) to Port Askaig. If enough Harriers go I will take my 6 seater car (actually same price on the ferry as a normal car at £88 return) so we have only one vehicle on the ferry otherwise I'll probably just take my sports car for a bit of driving fun.

There are a few photos from some previous Islay Half weekends here to whet your appetite. See me at the club, send me an e-mail or leave a comment here if you are interested.

Alan

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Great up take for the Islay weekend so far with 5 or 6 confirmed. B&B's in Bowmore are available still at around £45 per person per night.
Alan