Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 7 September 2009

Great Scottish Run 10k and Half Marathon

After a week of rain it looked like a promising start for the Great Scottish Run Half & 10K with thousands of runners turning up for the annual event however on the start it started to rain but in some respects added to good cool running weather. While walking to my cluster I saw the first Harrier David Searil who popped out of nowhere as he was trying to find a good starting position. After waiting for the white cluster to go first I was hoping my training would pay off with a good run and maybe a PB.

Then it was time and the blue cluster was away next so I was determined to run a good tactical race and stick to my own pace. The second Harrier I saw storming past me in Bothwell Street towards the Kingston Bridge was Graham Allan then I was running with no Harrier in sight until John McBride ran up to me then passed me on Paisley Road West swiftly followed by Mary Goldsmith. From Bellahouston Park (5 mile stage) I didn't see another Harrier until I passed Chas Steven at the 8 mile mark at Pollokshaws Road then it was getting nearer to the end at Glasgow Green.

Up until mile 12 I was feeling alright then once I got into Glasgow Green I developed a stitch that seemed to get worse so my last mile I had to slow my pace & change my breathing to get to the end. Thankfully the sight of my wife Sarah and my daughters, Emma & Melissa, in the crowd gave me the final boost I needed to get to the finish line. All in all a good race with a good goody bag at the end. Not a PB time but for my 2nd Half Marathon not a bad time @ 1hr 51mins 34secs.

Here is a list of all the Harriers times' I could find from the result page so if I have not mentioned you sorry. The results are: 10K - Jamie Mcmonagle (40:16), Stephen Phimster (40:45), Brian McDougall (41:10), Julie Collins 58.17, Jennifer Fegan 63.36 and in her first ever 10k, Jamie's wife Jean McMonagle in 1:23:31.

Half Marathon - Jim Holmes (1:30:46), David Herbertson (1:35:42), David Wardrop (1:38:29), Graham Allan (1:38:36), Colin Banks (1:42:16), Mary Goldsmith (1:43:29), John McBride (1:45:15), Ian McKenzie (1:49:58), Alison Crooks ((1:48:31), Richard Lawton (1:51:34), David Searil (1:54:24), Clare Brady (1:58:52), Chas Steven (2:02:51) and representing the Tuesday Night section, Caroline Dewar 1.52.21, Mhairi Steven 1.57.23 and Monique McAdams (2:23:02).

It's also very worthy of a mention, the performance of Wednesday night parent helper Brian Bourke who ran a fantastic 1:30:55. (Somebody get him a membership form and a vest!)

Thanks to Richard Lawton for the report and well done to all. As Richard states, if we have missed anyone then please let us know. The lack of club names on the results sheet and the fact that Calderglen does not appear in the drop down list of clubs in the on-line search makes it very difficult to find Harriers. Disappointing considering how much money all of you paid to enter this event.

Alan

1 comment:

csteven said...

This and other reports of the weekend's races are very encouraging not only in terms of performance but more importantly in the numbers of runners from our club ( 40 plus) taking part. Well done to everyone and heres to the next 25 years of Calderglen Harriers.