Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 13 August 2018

SVHC Glasgow 800 10km Road Race - Pollok Park

Fast finish to a hilly 10k
This was my first race since Land O Burns 10k in May with a few parkruns and Auldhouse Time Trials in between I wanted to see how my training was going and get myself race fit again. So the SVHC Glasgow 800 10km Road Race on Sunday 12th August would be the start.
 
Over the last few years this race has been ran in glorious sunshine but obviously we have ran out of these days for 2018 and we were left with a wet and humid day which in the end up dried up a bit and running conditions were good.  The usual Harrier contingent that run this event were absent due to holidays and injuries and so it was reduced to myself. In fact the whole event was a quiet affair with only a field of 18 runners and as I was waiting in the car park for other runners to appear I thought I might get a prize if it was a low turnout but enough turned up (one can only hope). The course itself has evolved over the years and this year's route has been used I believe the last few years.  The route is now on traffic free paths within the park and takes in sections of the Pollok Park parkrun.
 
The course start was just up from the Pollok Cottage and the race started downhill running towards Pollok House direction. When we got to the end of the path there was a triangle section we ran round and double backed heading towards the familiar hilly section of Pollok Park parkrun.  I got to the section of the route were the path forks left and right of Pollok Park parkrun and you take a left then at this point in the race I was lost and almost came to a stand still.  Luckily there was Lesley McArdle from Cambuslang Harriers shouting on me to turn right and I turned to follow her losing a couple of places in the process. Then we took another wrong turn by going left instead of a right so had to turn round again to get back on track.  Eventually we emerged back onto the main drive and ran through the arch at the main gate before doing a 180 degree turn around a cone to head back through the arch and 1k uphill back to the start/finish for the next lap. The next 2 laps were more straightforward.
 
With a small field and mixture of running ability after lap 1 the field was well spread out and so it could of been more of a time trial for me had Lesley McArdle from Cambuslang Harriers not been in the race.  By the end of lap 1 and next 2 laps we were taking turns leading with me leading on the hills and Lesley faster on the flat.  On the final turn on the cone of lap 3 I was right behind Lesley and was determined to keep her close. I was first through the arch and could here Lesley trying to catch me but I took advantage of the uphill finish and put the foot down with a sprint finish giving myself a clear 5 second win over her.  My time was 49:30 which to be honest I was disappointed with as I felt I had a good run and my time didn't justify my recent training.  I certainly felt the benefit of the recent club long runs and effort sessions during the race but it was an extremely hilly course.
 
Race results
 
Richard

No comments: