Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 27 August 2018

Paisley 10k


Since Richard has shamed me for being so lazy in getting around to writing this report, here’s an account of the goings on at last Sunday’s Paisley 10k!

Jim Mearns and I arranged to meet at the club to travel across to Renfrewshire together and on the way there we sussed out that fellow harriers Kevin Farmer, John McBride and Paul Rooney were also lining up to take on the ever-growing event. My first go at this course was fours ago and if memory serves me correctly, on that occasion there were around 600 runners taking part. It has swelled in numbers and popularity so much so that this year’s 10k had 2.5k runners queuing in anticipation for the starters gun. There’s also a 3k event, mostly for juniors and that has grown in numbers equally so.

So, arriving in Paisley Jim and I jogged up to Gilmour Street and headed for The Last Post pub where late entrants were to collect their number. That done, we headed back down to the car to get race ready. Heading back to the line, the apparent numbers were clear to see with runners warming up, stretching and those so inclined, joining in with the pre-race aerobics being expertly marshalled from the big stage (lorry!).

Lined up and ready to go we got underway. As expected, the initial stages were congested with runners winding their way round the tight turns with eventually the field beginning thin out as we rounded the spectacular Paisley Abbey and on up the High Street, turning right in to the cobbled Moss Street and on out past the Sheriff Court towards the West End and Ferguslie Park. The route then leads out to Linwood where there’s a 180-turn heading back out to Elderslie. To my surprise, as I was running along and beginning to feel the effects of the initial exertions, Kevin Farmer jumped off the pavement to join me for a short while. I didn’t get to see Kevin at the end so I’m not sure if his race went according to plan or if he was intending to back out his usual pace. Anyway, the course is largely flat although at this point there were some little hills to tackle as we ran in to the country park.

With some more undulations tackled the route then exits the park and across Canal Street and up quite a stinger of a climb on to High Street which eventually flattens out and becomes a slight downhill to Paisley Cross finishing with a sharp left hander for the final 150m to the line on Gilmour Street.

Jim had been telling me before the race that since this was his first sprint race (given that he doesn’t ordinarily run events with less than 250 miles these days (!)) it was more or less a test of his form and would be delighted to achieve a time of sub 48 minutes. For me it was my first outing since the Men’s Health back in June where I managed a few seconds over 40 minutes but given my lack of training and the obligatory all-inclusive fortnight in July I was targeting somewhere between 42 and 43 minutes. So, for Jim, he was encouraged to come home in a time of 46.39 and I was pleasantly surprised to cross the line in 41.31 and 10th MV50.
 
Of the other harriers taking part their times are noted in Richards blog message.

Once again, a great event, well organised, well supported and decent prizes that attract most of the big guns of our wee patch.

As is becoming a bit of a Spot the Trail Race T-Shirt game, here’s me and Jim in our post-race garb!
Martin H.

1 comment:

Richard Lawton said...

My intention was not to shame it doing a report Martin, simply an opportunity for you to shine on doing good run. Good report Martin and again good performances to all the Harriers.