Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 20 June 2015

Brian Goodwin 10k

Three Harriers - Julie Beveridge, Andy Buchanan and Alan Bow headed to Pollok Park to take part in this race.

By my own standards I had not been running well lately and was particularly disappointed with my Auldhouse time trial run.  This 10K was to be my fourth within 5 weeks. However it was not a spur of the moment entry as I discovered I had entered this back at the beginning of April. Surprisingly this was a race I had never considered running before. Therefore I headed to this race not expecting too much and had said pre-race that I would be happy with a time around about 42 minutes based on previous 10Ks.  Conditions were quite good for running, with it being dry and slightly cool.

The race consists of a two lap course starting from Cartha Queens Park Rugby Club. The route then follows a road through the country park which brings you to the edge of Pollok House (anyone who has run the Southside Six will know this first part of the route as you do this in reverse). From here you are following the road right through until you come out of the park at the entrance off of Pollokshaws Road (anyone who has been to Pollok Parkrun will likely have driven along this part of the park).  From here it is roughly 2K along Haggs Road and Drumbreck Road until you are back at the rugby club ready to start the 2nd lap.

I started conservatively and settled in amongst a group of other runners. I would say this race had quite a good size field (380 finishers ) and I felt throughout the race there were plenty of runners around about me which helped.  I felt the kilometres flew by and as I was enjoying the race I never felt the 2nd lap (knowing what was coming up ahead) was a struggle.

Overall I was pleased with how this run went given my recent running form and my final time was 40.58 which was actually a PB, albeit by 2 secs. But given the times I have been running recently I had to be satisfied with this.

Andy Buchanan finished in 33.24 (6th overall) and Alan Bow finished in 44.23.

The first male finisher was Tewodle Mehgisteab in a time of 30.33 and the first female finisher was Edel Mooney in a time of 37.08.

This was a very good value for money race with all finishers receiving a t-shirt (plain), burger and beer!

Thanks to Russell, Sandy and my mum & dad for their support during the race and all four for their help with trail race leaflet distribution after the race.

I think as a club we should seriously consider this as a Grand Prix race next year.  The course and size of the field lends itself to a potentially good run and PB opportunities.

Julie

2 comments:

Davie Searil said...

Great run and report Julie, a pb is a pb whether it's by two seconds or two hours. Enjoy the moment and savour the thought that you've run that distance faster than you have ever done in your life!

Davie Searil said...

The trouble with running a pb is that the next time is even harder, sub-40 this year or next?