Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 18 May 2014

Monklands Half Marathon 2014

Sunday 18th May was 31st Monklands Half Marathon in Coatbridge a race I had been targeting to test my improving form.  I was hoping the weather today was going to be cooler with some drizzle however it turned out it was the same weather I experienced in 2010 when I did this race for the first time.

So with hotter weather, slight breeze in some sections of the course it proved not the best weather to run in.  So I made sure I wore my sunglasses and a hat to ensure I didn’t dehydrate or get a sore head from the heat of the sun. I also made sure I took every opportunity at the water stations for a drink to ensure I kept myself hydrated throughout.

The course is 1 small lap starting just up from the railway bridge facing Blair Road which then took us left up to & along Townhead Road and into Drumpellier Park at the visitor centre through the park running towards the railway bridge then out onto the other side turning us right this time onto Blair Road to start lap 2 and the first of the big laps.

This lead the race right onto & along Glasgow / Coatbridge Road with slight detour into a new housing estate to do a small U shape route taking us quickly back onto Glasgow / Coatbridge Road then turning right up Gartcosh Road and at the top taking a right running towards Drumpellier Park entrance where the visitor centre is through the park running towards the railway bridge then out onto the other side turning us right onto Blair Road for the final big lap.

The small lap and first big lap I was feeling ok running just over 1:01 hours towards the end of my 2nd lap thinking at this point Robert Gilroy (who won this event today for the 10th year in a row) will begin to wind up his race.  Moving onto the final lap the heat was taking its toll and felt I was struggling a bit. However I just concentrated on good breathing and running technique knowing other runners will be feeling the pain of the heat and tiring.  When I got the 10 mile marker I try to convince myself I had just done 10 mile warm up and only 5k to go.  The session on Monday helped with managing my pace, to move up the gears at different stages which I found really beneficial in the latter stages.

I finished the race in 1:45:30 a personal best by 1minute 51 seconds and my first race as a M40.  According to the Winning Time website I was 22nd in my new age category and 59th overall out of 160.

Thank you to Russell for being at the finish line handing out Trail Race forms it was good to see a friendly face after a hard race.

Thanks to Richard for the report and well done on yet another PB.
Alan

2 comments:

Davie Searil said...

Well done Richard on your pb

Malcolm Buchanan said...

Hi Richard, thanks for the reminder of the half. I always enjoyed this race dispite its unglamerous route. Well done on your PB