Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Thursday 15 May 2014

141 miles over three races in 43 days, continued #3


141 miles over three races in 43 days, continued.
Another 20 days later…Hoka Highland Fling - 53 miles, Saturday 26th April

The 624 starters had been avidly scanning the weather forecast in the week leading up to the race and all were prepared for rain the entire day, yet within a few kilometres of the start, jackets were being stuffed in backpacks, caps and hats were shoved in pockets and sweat poured off brows as the unexpectedly sticky and humid conditions immediately took their toll. I struggled right from the off as these are my least favourite running conditions. I had started the race with a friend from the ATHelite triathlon club, Derek Stewart (running his first ultra,  although he has run the Marathon des Sables!), as we were looking to run at around the same pace but had to stop and walk by the 5k point. Goodness only knows what he made of this, the experienced ultra guy he had been hoping would help him around the route looking like he was done in already! Removing two layers and walking from the top of Craigallian Loch past the Carbeth huts I seemed to recover slighty and re-started running, at which point I was overtaken by Ian Rae who must have started much further down the field than I and was looking suspiciously good for a man who had hardly run at all over the  previous six weeks. The overcast conditions were rapidly clearing too, which helped most of all. The rest of the race was uneventful, I’m glad to say, the usual ultra mix of great cameraderie, craic and lots and lots of food. Oh and the weather co-operated also, staying pleasantly cool but dry for the rest of the day. I came down Conic hill much slower than last year which undoubtedly contributed to my stronger finish, nailed down my nutrition strategy better than ever, didn’t fall once and really, really enjoyed the day – probably the best race, ultra or otherwise, I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. A big thanks to the organisers, marshalls and all the many others who made it possible for us runners to have such a fantastic day out and thanks too to Angela for the lift home from Tyndrum and for putting up with Ian attempting to drive from the passenger seat!
Also huge respect goes to the lady who, having fallen whilst running along the lochside, carried on for about three miles to the checkpoint at Beinglas from where she was taken to hospital to learn she had broken her jaw in five places – courage like that puts us all in the shade. If you are given that leg for the club relay next month Jim,then please take care!

Some numbers; Ian finished in an excellent 11:19:18 while I came home in 12:40:48, a course pb of 49 minutes and 2 seconds! My finishing place was 378th from 624 starters and 566 finishers. That's a statistic I hadn't noticed until now -  58 DNF's.
Derek Stewart came home in a great debut time of 12:16:42, sadly he pulled a hamstring 20 metres from the finish, see picture.  This has meant him pulling out of his main event later this year, a half-ironman. (note the red carpet at the finish, nice touch RD)      

As I write this, twenty days later, I feel surprisingly well recovered, indeed I ran a 23:34 at the Auldhouse 5k TT just five days after the Fling, my fastest for a couple of years and also had a very strong three-stage effort on Monday night. Lots of swimming and a four day break in Barcelona have also greatly contributed to my well being.
I must report that I now feel like a 'proper' ultra runner. For some time I have heard folk talking about the number of toe-nails they have lost doing these long-distance races but it has never happened to me, until now - I am proud to report the nail fell off the second toe on my right foot ten days after the Fling!
Ian and I are both building the mileage up again, in his case for the full WHW on the longest day of the year while I have two weeks longer to train for the Great Glen Way - a 72 mile trek from Fort William to Inverness on the 5th July. Making fun of myself for racing three ultras in a short period of time aside, in reality it was a deliberate plan to push myself over these, my 9th, 10th and 11th ultras, solely in an effort to prepare my body for going another 17 miles beyond anything I have done before – a scary feeling, but then I was scared when I lined up for my first 33 miler! As they say, it’s all in the mind.
Looking forward also to supporting Ian (along with Angela, Frances and Geo) as he chases his tenth WHW finish this year. I’m sure everyone at the club will wish him all the best as he goes for the decanter to match the nine finisher’s goblets he already has. A nice malt would fill it nicely Ian, hint hint!




2 comments:

Davie Searil said...

I promise, no more reports until July at the earliest! D

Anonymous said...

Well done Davie on completing all 3 races and of course, your Reports! Fantastic

Frances