Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Thursday 1 May 2014

Bebocraigs 4.5 Mile Race

Well, this was one that I had to force myself to run. Horrendous weather on Wednesday night and this one was in Strathkiness, about 7 miles north of Cupar.
It was part of the summer mid-week grand prix, need to do 4 out of 5 and I had missed the first one at St Andrews.
I misjudged the journey time a bit as no matter how fast I went the sat nav was saying 7.15pm with a 7.30pm start. I quickly abandoned the car and ran along the street towards registration with the rain teaming down. Paid my £3 and made a few inquiries about what footwear I should wear - trail was the unanimous decision of my straw poll of 2.
After another dash back to the car, that was me warmed up without a doubt, we are off.....
First mile was a steady climb on the road - suited me fine. Then a left turn completely off road and very steep - murder. Then a bit up and down, but very muddy and puddles up to your ankles. Definitely one for studs as I kept sliding about. Finally it's straight across a long grassy area (about half a mile) with 100mtr tarmac finish. Knowing the course is a distinct advantage as some runners were hammering it past me across the field, they are were obviously mentally in the finishing straight, whereas I'm just trying to keep it steady...if only I had known. Will next time!
There was the usual friendly welcome of tea and home baking afterwards, but I found myself thinking "did that just happen or did I dream it?". The race seemed to just fly past, although it was 34.52 for me. Would love to do it again in better weather.
George

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Well done George. The Auldhouse 5k should be no bother to you after that!
Alan