Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Mull of Kintyre 2013 1k and Half Marathon

Well it was a family affair this weekend at the MOK.

The race is in its 8th year, I have only missed it once due to injury. Its just getting bigger and better each year. If your looking for a race with fantastic scenery,  a challenging beach run along Westport beach and a warm welcome, then you won't find a better race.

Evan ran on Saturday as they have made it a 2 day event. He did the junior 1k and came charging to the finish in 2nd place with an impressive time of 3mins 50.

On Sunday it was the 10k and the half. The weather at the start wasn't great but training in EK its something I'm used to!  The only downside of the race is that both distances start together, so you set off at a fast pace. The distances then split. This left 5 runners up front. I left them to it I didn't want to struggle like last year in the 2nd half. I reached the 10 mile marker in 62.30. I then just gave it everything and managed a strong sprint finish giving me a time of 1.21.44. This earned me 6th place and 1st Male Vet. The winner was local with a time of 1hr 16.

The race is well marshalled with mile markers well placed and a great goody bag. What to watch out for are the slower 10k runners I had to come out the coned off area to pass them.

Thanks to Ian for the report and well done on another great performance (Bronze M40 performance standard; Ian, you are still M40 aren't you and not M45?).
Alan

No comments: