Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Thursday 22 September 2011

Round Cumbrae (a few more times........)


After the previous weekend’s race of ‘only’ 10.25 miles I headed back to Cumbrae last Friday to take on the challenge of a fifty mile charity race.
On my entry form I had said I would attempt two or three laps of the island but in the end managed to complete four circuits, a total run of 41 miles, 15 miles more than I had ever run before. My total time was 7:14:45 and the individual lap times were 1:41:36, 1:42:25, 1:47:09 and 2:03:35. As you can see the wheels came off on the last round, in fact I probably walked two of the last three miles.
It was good to finally get off off my backside and do something I’ve been thinking about for a couple of years and this unusual race format was an ideal introduction to the world of ultra running. It was also very well organised with numerous support vehicles continuously driving round the course and three water stations on the ten mile route.  
I may not make it to the club this week as, predictably, I think I’m going down with something and am also a tad tired so instead of me trying and failing to type coherently while loaded up with benylin and paracetamol youse can get a wee flavour of the event at the following link
And yes, I know that’s not quite my surname, but it’s close enough!

Very well done to David, I had no idea he was training for an ultra. This will surely divert some of the flak from Ian Rae for a while.
Alan

No comments: