Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 September 2021

The Conic Canter Ultramarathon Race Report (don’t worry, it’s not as long as last time)

The Conic Canter Ultra Race was a 38-mile run from Milngavie to Balmaha following the West Highland Way. The route took you north on the WHW going up and over Conic Hill before taking a left turn at the car park on the other side, along to Milton of Buchanan, before taking another left to join the WHW again and re-trace your steps back to the start.

The race was organised by the West Highland Way race team to fill the void of the cancellation of this year’s Highland Fling, Devil O’ The Highlands and full West Highland Way races. I suspect the organiser’s may have been slightly disappointed with the race take up – with only 81 runners actually starting. That said, there was a good atmosphere amongst the small band of enthusiastic runners and spectators as we set off at 7:30am on Saturday morning from behind the Scout Hall, up to Milngavie High Street to catch the start of the WHW.

Three months had passed since my last race at Glen Lyon and although I have been running ok in between times I hadn’t actually ran any further than 13 miles in one go. As can sometimes be the case, work, family, and life in general had gotten in the way of me doing any proper ultra-training so expectations were low as I set off. I was just going to enjoy the run. As much as anyone can ‘enjoy’ a 38-mile run that is.

There had been some heavy rain overnight and although still a bit damp, it wasn’t cold, and the forecast was to be dry all day. The small but merry band of runners soon spread out as we headed for Conic but there was plenty of walkers and cyclists offering cheery encouragement along the way to keep the spirits up. 

There are pro’s and con’s of running an ‘out and back’ type run – on the plus side you know exactly how far you’ve got to go at all times but on the down side…. you know exactly how far you’ve got to go at all times. Every time I whizzed down a hill on the way out, there was a little devil on my shoulder (in a Harrier’s vest) whispering “aye, you’re gonna pay for this on the way back pal”. After dibbing my dabber at the 10-mile check point at Gartness Road the miles came and went until Conic Hill revealed itself in all it’s glory. 

The walk-up Conic from the Milngavie side is a challenge but at least I wasn’t carrying a tent and the contents of a small bungalow on my back like the Tom Weir type character I passed halfway up. Those who have been there will need no telling but the view from the top of Conic made the whole race worthwhile alone – absolutely stunning. Being at the top of the hill was undoubtably the highlight of the day, however it was closely followed by the scramble down the other side into Balmaha car park – brilliant fun. To top it off, halfway down there was a herd of Highland Cattle grazing. I had to stop for a picture – Highland Cows with Loch Lomond in the background – you surely couldn’t get anymore Scottish than that – well unless Rab C Nesbitt happened to stroll by.

Balmaha marked 19 miles and the halfway point. After a very quick stop to pick up my drop bag for something to eat (no macaroon this time out, Lees pulled out of their sponsorship deal with me on grounds of slander after the melting incident at Glen Lyon) I was back running and heading for home. There was a long slow climb at Milton of Buchanan as we headed back up to join the WHW on the other side of Conic Hill, which I admittedly walked up, but then fuelled by my drop bag, I managed to start a slow trot homewards checking off all the landmarks I’d passed earlier in the day.

I took the second half a lot more relaxed than the first half – with a lot more walking involved as the sun came out. But I wasn’t in any hurry – just determined to enjoy the day out. The long-exposed section climbing back up the hill a mile or so after the Beach Tree Inn became a bit of a slog, and it was good to finally get into the shade of the woods as I approached Mugdock Park and Milngavie.

One final highlight of the day was at 37 miles, coming off the WHW and emerging onto Milngavie High Street only to find myself in the middle of a full-on Saturday afternoon fun fair with the high street absolutely rammed. I suspect I may have terrified a few kids waiting in line for a shot on the bouncy castle, me stoating about with a beetroot puss, muddy legs, and questionable odour. Not quite what you expect in the last quarter of a mile of an ultra. That said, I did get a lovely butterfly done by the face painter and the candy floss and hot dog were just superb.

After negotiating the last of the fun day thrill seekers, I entered the finish zone behind the Scout Hall where some lunatic had moved the Start / Finish line from the bottom of the hill (where I left it!) 50 metres or so up to the top. And that was that, ultra-marathon number seven completed in 7hrs 29 minutes, 37th place out of 78 finishers, which all things considered I was fairly happy with. What made it all the nicer was that all finishers were presented with a Conic Canter 2021 engraved crystal whiskey glass which I am delighted to report was filled on Saturday evening as I reflected on the day.

Not sure if this race will be on again as race calendars return to normal next year but I’d encourage anyone to give it a whirl if it does. Just remember to take some money for all the honesty boxes along the WHW (and for a shot of “Beat the Goalie” in Milngavie High Street).

Graeme




2 comments:

Davie Searil said...

Well done on completing the CC Graeme and for another great report - you're setting yourself a high bar for future race accounts! Well envious of that whisky glass btw...

Karen said...

Well done Graeme, sounds like you enjoyed that one :)