Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 4 June 2018

Victoria Parkrun & SVHC Cairnpapple Hill Road Race

Saturday 26th May was the second of the Victoria Parkruns in the grand prix. It was also the day of the SVHC Cairnpapple Hill road race at the Bathgate Highland Games.   Should I do both? It is only 6 miles! Well, I decided to wait and see how I felt after Victoria Park. I headed off to get Sandy and we then made our way to Victoria Park.  The conditions were perfect. We met the other Harriers, warm ups complete and soon we were all at the start line ready to race. First Harrier to finish was junior Harrier Lewis Moir in a fantastic time of 20.33 and another pb.   To my amazement I actually ran 20.59, a pb by 4 seconds. Nothing else for it, I just had to go to Bathgate.
Richard Lawton was next in a time of 21.06 and a pb with Jim Holmes hot on his heels crossing the line in 21.08. The other times are: Stuart Waugh 22.27, Lorraine Buchanan 23.48 and another pb, Gordon McInally 24.11 and Russell Couper 24.31.  Unfortunately,  Sandy pulled out due to a slight injury. Thanks to Marion, Andy Buchanan and the children for cheering us all on.

Russell was also at Victoria Parkrun and had decided to do the Cairnpapple hill race too. He offered to drive and picked me and Geo up just before 1pm. The weather was getting warmer and by the time we got to Bathgate, suncream was the order of the day.  The race started at 2.30pm with one lap of the games park before running out onto the road for 3 miles , all uphill to the telephone mast, round the mast and back down to the park.  Heading up the dirt track to the mast the leaders were now making their way down. It was at this point that 3 females ran passed me on their descent which meant I was lying in 4th place. I knew there was too big a gap and my plan was to hold onto 4th place which I managed to do. The first female was  Fiona Mathieson who finished in a time of 41.10.  Continuing up round the mast and down the dirt track I passed Geo and then Russell on their way up. The next 3 miles quickly pass and when you hear the sound of the bagpipes coming from the park it means 200 metres to go and a sprint finish into the park. A great finish to a tough race. My time was 48.49 and I finished 1st FV50. Geo's time was 49.53 and Russell finished in a time of 57.59. Another great day for a run!
Frances

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

2 races in one day; that takes some doing. Well done to all, particularly all those hitting PB's. Great report too.
Alan