Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 June 2018

TOTALLY TROPICAL CLYDEBANK

Well that was a HOT one
Tonight 3 Harriers made there way to Clydebank for the SVHC's clubs 5k championship.
They allow guest runners in this and tonight that swelled the field to well over 100 the largest ive ever seen at this event.
Anyway on to the run and this course is absolutely flat although it is 3 and 3/4 laps round the industrial estate which can be daunting for some if you don't like laps. Having gone direct from work I met Frances Ferguson and Stuart Waugh at the course and we were all looking for a little bit of tree cover to get out the sun. I never checked the temperature before the race but it was 28 after it was finished. Ive never liked the heat for running but found myself leading Frances and Stuart (well for 50 yds anyway) then settled in at a good pace going through mile 1 on schedule for about 23.45 but the heat was drying up the throat and found I didn't have any spit I was that dry. Mile 2 slowed a bit but was still on course for about 24.40. It was at this point I could no longer see Frances or Stuart who I had kept in sight till now. Mile 3 and the heat was now hitting me hard and I slowed a bit more.
Its the first time in a 5k I was wanting a water station. Finally finished in 25.29 which was a second faster than last year and in heat like that its a big improvement. Frances and Stuart had a close race and only separated at the end by about 5 secs, Frances running 22.17 and Stuart approx. 22.12 Not the best times they've ran here but again the heat takes its toll and its Stuarts first race for quite a while. A good event that others should look at in future if your looking for a fast time if the weathers playing fair.
Thanks to Maud for coming along to support the Harriers as it was even too hot for spectating

No comments: