Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 4 June 2018

Alloa half marathon

It was rather ironic that the rearranged 36th Alloa half should finally take place on one of the warmest and clammiest days of the year given that it was postponed back in mid March because of snow. As I am well aware I struggle to breathe properly in humid conditions (likely a throwback to the hay fever and asthma I suffered years ago) the irony certainly wasn't lost on me as I lined up on the start line along with 1,636 other runners, sweat pouring off me from only a half mile warm-up. Run ABC Scotland reported that the numbers were down around a thousand on the normal early-season turn out, some no doubt unable to make the new date and opting for the offered refund and others deferring until next year.
It was so hot that we, Gerry and I, pilfered (it was him, honest!) a bottle of water from the finish line before the start of the race! Shh, don't tell anyone...
I knew almost immediately after the gun went off that I was going to have an awful day and within the first two miles was slowing from my planned nine minute-miling. Indeed I felt so bad that I briefly considered dropping out but thought a training run in these conditions might stand me in good stead for my support duties in three weeks time. I wouldn't normally take water on board during a thirteen miler but Sunday was an extreme exception, in fact I walked for thirty yards or so at the first station in order to get plenty of fluid in without gulping and then poured the remainder over the back of my head.
Although she caught and easily passed me I was delighted to chat for a wee while to Julie's sister Louise, racing for the first time under her married name and possibly for the first time since her health problems of the last couple of years. She very soon showed me a clean pair of heels and in fact finished almost a minute per mile in front of me. I look forward to seeing her again at the start of the WHW race where she will be supporting husband Stuart, go Stoosh!
The next water station was just past the Sterling Furniture warehouse in Tillicoultry where both Gerry and I, separately, remembered Dougie Donnelly! Where is he now?
At a point on the course the organisers euphemistically called the finger loop, an annoying but necessary (to result in the required 13.1 miles) diversion into an industrial estate and back out again, I heard my name being shouted by big John McBride. He was entering the turning as I was exiting which gave me motivation to stop feeling sorry for myself and get my bottom into gear.
The four mile long (and it was long!) straight run along the A91 was made slighly more pleasant by a wee breeze developing which, by the time we reached the turn for the infamous Menstrie Brae, had begun to clear both the clouds and the oppressive atmosphere - yay! I could breathe again. I ran strongly up the hill and the next long drag up Alloa Road through Tullibody.
Having only run well for the final three miles or so I was surprised to find that my finishing time of 2.02.45 was only twenty seconds per mile slower than my original target despite my perception having been more akin to running on treacle rather than tarmac. All in all a hard workout on a thoroughly unpleasant morning for running, so not all bad.

The mens race was won by Michael Christoforou of Edinburgh AC in 1.08.13 and the female race by Fanni Gyurko of Central AC in 1.20.22. (the top runner's names aren't getting any easier to spell!) 
Mike Christoforou winning last weeks Edinburgh 10k
Harriers (and friends) results were as follows

Gerry McParland, 46th overall 1.24.44
Julie Beveridge 1.36.51
David Wardrope 1.44.09
Kirsty Wilson 1.47.04
Louise Douglas 1.51.25
Karen Allen 1.53.02
David Searil 2.02.45
John McBride 2.07.54
Sadly a dns from Sandy
It's fair to say that everyone would have run at least a couple of minutes faster in March conditions, sans snow of course.
Louise showing off her medal

Kirsty doing likewise
I've quoted chip times for everyone as these would appear to be provisional results and strongly suspect there are a few errors as my time, for one, was 16 seconds quicker than that quoted although nowhere near enough to take me below two hours, sadly.
I should add it was heartening to see the organisers allowing 21 runners to get a finishing time despite being outside the quoted three hour cut-off time and indeed the final finisher was nearer the four-hour mark, crossing the line in 3.48.40. There seem to have been only 12 dnfs, surprisingly low given the  conditions. (thanks to the organisers for including them in the results, perhaps they read my rant on the subject the other week!)
Photos thanks to Kirtsy, Louise and the Edinburgh Marathon Festival.

No comments: