Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 11 June 2018

Roon the Toon

Six harriers limbered up on the synthetic track at Ayrshire Athletics Arena in Kilmarnock on Sunday, part of an impressive start list of 1,137 runners for the third running of the Roon the Toon 10k. Conditions were warm but not as oppressive of late but as this was my third race in eight days I didn't expect to break any records despite the lower humidity.
Scottish Athletics chairman and WHW Race director Ian Beattie was the honorary starter but, as a former Ayrshire athlete (Troon Tortoises), intended to run the course too as did his wife Sandra. He had threatened to bolt off down the road shouting 'go!' over his shoulder but sensibly did as he was asked, started the race and slipped quietly into the field. 
I won't bore you with the details of my run largely because there was nothing of note to mention. I did briefly think I might catch Paul but that optimism faded on my way up the gradual hill to Kilmarnock railway station, slowing as I went. Finishing on the track is always enjoyable and I did put in a bit of an effort over the final couple of hundred meters to the line. The course is fairly flat and fast should anyone fancy a pb attempt here next year.
Some of you will be aware of Richard Cooper and his son Kieran, impressive runners in normal conditions, who ran from the south side of Glasgow to Kilmarnock, a distance of some 20 miles, then proceeded to run 39.20 for 50th place and 35.52 in tenth respectively - wow. These are the same guys who hatched a scheme last year to run to every single turbine at Whitelees Windfarm - absolutely nuts! Kieran by the way is still a junior. Dad Richard tells me his son is responsible for all these crazy ideas but I can only assume Kieran takes after his father and it's more like fifty-fifty. They did rather wimp out and accepted a lift home from a friend. I love folk that do daft things!
Last year's collage of pictures of Kieran standing by the numbered turbines, all 215 of them
Martin running alongside the afore-mentioned Richard Cooper, did I mention he runs ultras too?
The female race winner was Elspeth Curran of Kilbarchan AAC in 36.37 while Neil Renault of Edinburgh AC took the men's title in 32.11. Ex-harrier Kevan Harvey was third in 32.46 (or, as I said to him afterwards, rubbish - should have been sub-32! Sorry Kevan...)
Finished
Leading harrier on the day, in twentieth place, was Kevin Farmer in 36.42, next home was Martin Howell, fresh from his 3rd overall and first auld guy (his words, not mine!) at Eglinton parkrun the previous day, crossing the line in 40.51 for 69th place and, I think - correct me if I'm wrong Martin, 3rd MV50 (sadly no prize though). Not far behind was the flying Joanne McEvoy in 41.53 for 89th place followed by Paul Rooney in 48.39 with me not too far behind in 49.15 and John Boyd coming home in 50.49.
Occasionally I entertain notions of maybe getting an auld guy's placing too but today spotted the first MV60 was a guy from Cambuslang in 37.01!! Shakes head and gives up...
For the record Ian Beattie ran 44.35 and Sandra came over the line in 47.55. Talking to them afterwards I did jokingly attempt to blag my way onto the start list of the WHWR a week on Friday but was given short shrift, guess I'll have to content myself with supporting Ruth after all. All joking apart Jim and I are really looking forward to our support roles, complete freedom to cajole and shout at Ruth for hours on end - just like our training runs really.

Many, many thanks go to Ruth and George who were out and about supporting, quite literally in George's case by helping someone to the finish who could barely walk, a nice touch G. Folk like George helped keep down the dnf tally to only four, pretty good given the size of the field. A few photos from out on the course
Kevin

Joanne

Paul
Me smiling/grimacing at Ruth
John
Photo credits go to Ruth, George, Richard Cooper and, as always, the one and only Kenny Philips.

Postscript, I almost forgot to mention the very impressive goody bag. In addition to the quality tee shirt and medal we were given a stuff bag, mars bar, an empire biscuit made by Brownings (makers of the famous Killie pie), a key fob/bottle opener, pen and a voucher for two free tickets to Rugby Park at any game over the coming season, sadly not including games against Celtic. Oh, and a Specsavers balloon!

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Great to see so many Harriers out racing and another comprehensive report from Davie. The dry
weather really helps bring out the Harriers it seems. Well done to all. Good on George for dragging someone kicking and screaming across the line; I hope they were actually entered in the race.
Alan
(ps was it a male or female competitor George helped across the line? Just asking :-))