Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Run Mhor- Hidden Glen 10K


4 Harriers set off on Saturday morning to compete in an off road 10K just outside Balquidder. I
wasn’t entirely sure what to expect as we drove along a single track road which appeared to be
never ending. On arrival we were met by several friendly marshalls who directed us to a ‘car park’ I
use this term loosely as it was a large grass field on the side of a steep hill. The registration area was
an old converted barn and to our surprise had been converted into venue for music bands and
weddings (hint hint Kirsty!!)

The race was set off in waves and the 1 st 2K was an out and back route along a single track road. I
found myself running on my own as the 1 st pack were pushing the pace and we still had a long way to go. The next section was where the race really began as we entered the Glen and started to climb up to the high point at 6K. The conditions under foot were hard going and were a mixture of off road
trails with deep puddles. I heard a piper in the distance and I knew we were approaching the turn.
At this point I was sitting in 8 th place. The next section was a mad dash downhill and I remember
Kenny’s advice about just letting go (easier said than done). I must admit that running downhill on an off road trail is not my favourite thing!! I was quickly passed by 2 runners and tried to keep with
them but they quickly disappeared into the distance. The final section was about 1K back onto the
road and I felt much better and managed to make up some distance on the runners who had
previously passed me.

I finished the race and I don’t think I could have ran any faster. Next home was Kirsty, Graham and
then Sandy. We quickly headed over to the bar for our free pint. Graham and I then tucked into BBQ
Pork burgers whilst Sandi and Kirsty has chips. We all agreed it was a fantastic event, a great
atmosphere and we would definitely be back next year.

Graham and I headed home whilst Sandy, Kirsty, Callum and Winston the dog headed for a post-race
party and the local camping site. Early reports indicate a shortage of Wine and Prosecco in the
Callander area.

A big thank you to support from Callum, Winston and Louise Beveridge.

The results were as follows:

Mark Saez 41.32 10 th place
Stuart Douglas 42:06 13 th place
Kirsty Wilson 51:11 58 th pace
Graham Rammage 51:37 61 st place
Sandy Hayden 58:38 160 th place

A total of 400 runners finished
Mark

3 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done all 4 on great runs on a tough course. I hope you didn't disturb the peace in my home patch in the post-race festivities!
Alan

Anonymous said...

Great running by all the Harriers over what sounded like a tough course. Great report Mark.

Julie

Kenny said...

A really good report, sounds like the type of terrain we will be facing on the training camp.