Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Cumbernauld 10k

I have written this race report in two parts. Firstly in terms of the general race organisation and race itself as I was not the only Harrier who took part in this race.

So having done the North Ayrshire 10K two weeks ago I moved on to the Cumbernauld 10K. Also following the same path were Lorraine Buchanan, Sharon Gregg and Julie Thomson.

From when I arrived at the school allocated for parking it was evident this was well organised with marshals directing you to a car park spot and it was well sign posted for the 10 minute work to Broadwood Stadium.

Approaching the stadium the pipe band were playing and it gave a general feeling of what you would expect at a 'big city race'.  As well as the 10k there was a 3k race, races for primary school aged kids (I think there may have been junior Harriers who placed at this - Richard may have more about this on the junior blog) and a 1 mile victory walk. Generally a good race for families to attend.  The races start in the stadium (on the football pitch) and spectators can sit in the stands.

This is one of the few races I have done lately where part of it is run on closed roads with the race heading out of the stadium, along closed roads towards the Irn Bru factory. The race in the first half is flat with a slight downhill after the Irn Bru factory.  There are a few road junctions you come to but the police were marshalling these and stopped the traffic - yet again not something you see in too many smaller races these days. The second half of the race remained relatively flat with a couple of small gradients. The last 3 kilometres are run around scenic Broadwood Loch and the race finishes in the stadium on the football pitch. All in a very good course for a PB. Well supported throughout by the locals and this also helped to make it a good race.

This is the second race I have done this year which North Lanarkshire Council have organised and I have to say I have been very well impressed by the organisation.  The price to enter this race was only £13 (there may even have been early bird prices) and was well worth the money for all I have described above.

As I mentioned above Lorraine, Sharon, Julie T and myself have now done the North Ayrshire 10K and Cumbernauld 10K before moving on in a fortnight to the Great Scottish Run and then the cross country. Can I just say well done to all three of them! As I remarked to them at Cumbernauld it is good to see them out racing and good to see so many of the women's section out racing in general.

Race Results (all chip times):

Sharon Gregg - 47:40
Julie Thomson - 53:07
Lorraine Buchanan - 58:05

Footnote: My Cumbernuld 10K

At the North Ayrshire 10K two weeks ago I came close to a first sub-40 minute 10K with a time of 40.00. As this weekend came around I wondered if I would possibly achieve it at Cumbernauld. This would be my third 10K since the 23rd August ( I ran 40.36 at the Marymass 10K that day) and there was also the doubt that maybe it was too much racing over a short period of time.  With the course being flat I was a bit concerned I may go off too fast and not have the hilly sections I love which can help to conserve energy for later parts of the race.

Result - I led the race from the start and was 'over the moon' to cross the line in 39:26 (chip time).
Julie

5 comments:

CoachAD said...

A fantastic result, Julie and surely the first of many race wins and hopefully further PB's.
Alan

Davie Searil said...

Excellent report Julie, a great result and that sub-40 we all knew you would do - win, win! Absolutely delighted for you and, as Alan said, hopefully the first of many.

Martin H said...

Great report - even greater result, dead chuffed for you Julie!

Kenny said...

Julie, well done for getting below 40 minutes and winning, calls for a double celebration.

Martin Duthie said...

Well done Julie, that is a huge improvement, all the hard work is paying off. I'm seriously worried now about being chicked at the club for the first time :-)