Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 5 August 2017

Finally a sub 22 5k

After taking longer to recover from Stirling Marathon due to shin splints, I finally achieved a sub 22 5k. With June being a low key month for mileage and concentrating on strength and conditioning and nursing along my poor left shin getting a sub 22 5k seemed way off. Feeling the recovery was progressing in the right way by the end of June I was able to put back to back club sessions and a few Grand Prix races. However by the start of July I could fully commit to full training with consistent back to back club sessions and long easy runs. This all paid off on Thursday night when I unexpectedly ran my second fastest time at the club Auldhouse Time Trial achieving 22:32. So this spurred me on to tackle Strathclyde 5k Parkrun to go for sub 22.

Being the first Saturday of the month I forgot they had pacers which turned to my advantage initially and at the end. Stuart Waugh was there as well so I felt if I could stay close to Stuart I was in with a shout. The starter shouted go and we were off.

I ran out hard to get a clear start with plenty of room and running the long straight route to the top of the loch I could see Stuart and the 21min pacer so I thought I am doing alright. At this point the 22 min pacer ran by me bursting my bubble but I just dug in thinking its still early doors and not even got to the turning point. As I got this point and ran round to the 3k mark I was feeling the intensity of the pace but kept a level head pushing keeping close as I could to the 22 min pacer.  I got round the top of the loch heading in towards the final stage of the run. This point I felt I was running eye balls out and was thinking I need to stop but I could see the 22 min pacer was slowing so does this mean I was getting faster, it didn’t feel like. Approaching the 4k mark at the bridge I thought 7 mins are so to go you can do this. I remember doing 8 min efforts in Auldhouse recently and thought I have done those I can hang in there.  The 22 min pacer was still ahead and I thought just keep pushing and even if I get a low 22 it will be an achievement. The 22 min pacer finished his 5k with me about 10 seconds behind. A very tired runner was delighted and amazed when I looked at my Garmin with 21:47 recorded which gave me a nice boost.
Strathclyde Parkrun #367 - 05/08/17

My official time was 21:50 finishing 46th place and was the 46th male out of a field of 336 runners. 5th in my age category, VM 40-44.
Results: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/strathclyde/results/latestresults/

Richard

3 comments:

CoachAD said...

A well deserved PB Richard. Just keep the training going consistently now, not too much too soon to keep the injuries at bay, and your improvements will continue.
Alan

Richard Lawton said...

Thanks Alan means alot to me

Kenny said...

Richard, welldone, sounds like you are converting your training into great times.