Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 2 October 2016

Great Scottish Run Half Marathon

Great Scottish Run Half Marathon
2nd October 2016
Race Report from our man in the field Stephen Phimister

This event was my first ever competitive race and so today took on a special meaning as the 10th anniversary of my running career.

If you could of hand picked weather conditions it would have been what we got today. Blue skies, no wind, the temperature in the low teens. And so ladies and gentlemen, picture the scene.  I’m into the last mile and running well. No not well, fantastic. I’m having a stormer. I’ve just passed the Wall of Support where the Clydeside becomes the Saltmarket. The crowed is 4 deep and the noise is spurring me on. I know I’m running well, it feels like I’m floating along. A PB is on the cards. Round the corner and into Glasgow Green. The noise of the crowd gets louder and I’m getting faster, picking people off in the home straight. In my head I’m already writing this Blog report. I can see the clock but it doesn’t matter because I know I’ve nailed a PB. Over the line for 1:28:09, a PB by a massive 27 seconds.

Through the funnel to collect the (not so) goodie bag and wait for the others to come in. Julie, Jim, Graham we’ve all ran well and its congratulations all round. Next in its Richard. “How’d you do?” he asks. “PB” I tell him, “by 27 seconds” I add. “And you? “ “Oh I got a PB as well ... by 5 minutes”.

BANG ... my bubble is burst, I’m gutted. He’s stole the glory, the adulation, more importantly my headline,  !   Its like scoring a hat trick only for your teammate to score 4 and disappear up the tunnel with the match ball.

And so in the interests of journalistic correctness and through just a hint of gritted teeth, here’s todays headline

Richard Lawton smashes his PB by 5 minutes
In all seriousness it truly was a Great day. Everyone I spoke to enjoyed their run. First Harrier home was Iain Tonb who must be pleased with 1:22:11. Julie ran solidly and was happy with her 1:30:41, giving me a target to hunt down going through Bellahouston. Jim was worried that he had went off too fast but like many of us he found the conditions just right and kept the work rate going to come home in 1:34:02. Graham Ramage feels like a bit of form could return if he can get consistent training and would be pleased with his 1:37:17. Next was Richard but we already know all about his efforts !

Full results from the GSR Website (assuming you had listed your club as the Harriers)
Iain Tomb – 1:22:11
Stephen Phimister – 1:28:09
Julie Beverage – 1:30:41
Jim Holmes – 1:34:02
Graham Ramage – 1:37:17
Richard Lawton – 1:40:29
John Boyd – 1:46:05
Sharon Gregg – 1:47:30
John McBride – 1:48:40
Davie Searil – 1:52:47
Lorraine Buchanan – 2:08:25
Mary Goldsmith – 2:17:07

Sorry I didn’t manage to meet up with more of you at the end. Listing peoples race times doesn’t tell the full story and I’m sure many of you had as good a tale to tell as me. Feel free to get your story onto the Blog, it might even cheer me up. Sometimes its easy to meet up at the end of the race but today people seemed to scatter about, maybe making the most of the fantastic weather. The space blankets were getting used as picnic blankets as people relaxed in the post race atmosphere. I should know as I had relatives in the Pink wave. I’m truly delighted for them with their 2 hours 40 run and it certainly gave me plenty of time to sample the various stalls as I never left the Green until after 3pm !!!

Once last thing Mr Headline Grabber ... at least I got on the telly!

Stephen P.

6 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done to all the Harriers and a fantastic race report from Stephen. This truly was the day to get a time if your were in shape and Stephen delivered (just not as much as Richard!).
Alan

russell couper said...

Well done Stephen we seen you on the telly. Sorry to burst the bubble again but Richard was on it twice.

Davie Searil said...

Saw you too Stephen at 1.56 in, also 2.18 Richard and big John at 2.34. Not race times but time into the BBC programme. I can claim to have (briefly) spoken to Bryan Burnett but David Currie (and cameraman) ignored me completely! I should also point out a stand-out performance by ex-harrier Gerry McParland who averaged six-minute miling to come home in a fantastic 1.18.19.

Kenny said...

Really good times from all the Harriers and good to see Lorraine's training resulting in such a good time for her first half marathon.

Andrew J Buchanan said...

Sorry to say Stephen but Lorraine took 17mins off her PB

StephenP said...

Oh how i now wish i hadn't written this !