Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 30 August 2015

Killin 10k 2015

This is the 5th year of this now regular and growing 10k event hosted by Tay Fitness on Saturday 29th August.  The event has grown in popularity over the last 5 years with this year reaching full capacity of 250 runners and it was added to the new 10k series, The Trossachs 10k series.
 
I lasted did this race in 2013, missing 2014 due to injury and felt quietly confident this year that I would produce a good time.  I have been more conscious this year about the number of races I have been doing, recovering between races and general rest to ensure I can put together back to back training sessions, run injury free and maintain good fitness and running technique. 
 
However best laid plans with having a minor injury in July put a halt to my plan so after missing about 2½ weeks training my August return to the club allowed me pull my fitness back up and general endurance to feel confident to do the 10k.  My last Harrier Thursday session running a little over 9 miles with a 2 mile threshold pace stood me in good stead with my final training run last Saturday at Strathclyde Parkrun running the course in 22:27 gave me confidence of my potential 10k performance .
 
So to the race this started at the west end of the village next to the Acharn Forest Car Park next to the war memorial.  From there the first 2k of the race was slightly downhill & flat took the runners over the Dochart Bridge, running down the Main Street and past the McLaren Hall taking us out of the village and loop up Glen Lochay to the Hydro station before returning to the village and finishing in Breadalbane Park.
 
Half way up the climb from the Hydro Station
The start of the race down the Main Street I took it easy not to get carried away with fast starts knowing I can catch people on the hills and further into the later stages of the race.  Once I was out of the village taking the first left to begin the loop up Glen Lochay to the Hydro station I did stop at the water station as is it was humid and felt my mouth and throat drying out.  At the time I was glad but may have lost a few vital seconds.  Carrying on the route to the Hydro station the road was quite up and down which tested my pace management and technique.  However I felt ok in control and prior to the climb from the Hydro station and took another drink to keep myself hydrated. The climb was steep and certainly tested my strength on the hills and once over the top we ran to the turning point which began a downhill run for the last 3k.  The road was far from straight again it was very bumpy with up and down humps in the road but still allowed me to track and pass other runners comfortably to the end of the road which then took me onto the main road leading back to Killin.  At this point the course was familiar and on the 9k mark I started to increase my pace holding enough back for final burst if required.  Ahead at about 9.5k I could see people turning off the road and heading into the park another way which was different from 2 years ago. When I reached this point my pace slowed as I went onto grass which was uneven that eventually led to ash path around the park which I picked my pace up again passing a couple of runners before crossing the line in 47:27.
 
I was a bit disappointed as I thought I was able to achieve 46:30 however looking back on my 10k times for this year I have been constantly in the low to mid 47s so should be happy with my constancy and hopefully this will set me up nicely for winter training and the forthcoming Cross Country season.

Here’s the link to Tay Fitness if any other Harriers fancy it next year and 2015 results: http://www.tayfitness.com/killin-10k/

Results: http://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/145

Also Tay Fitness is on Facebook.

2 comments:

Kenny said...

Richard, well done, it sounded like a really hilly course. Good to hear of reports from races further afield.

Anonymous said...

Great report Richard. It is great to get race reports as it gives you an insight into races you may not have considered previously.

Julie