Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 31 August 2015

Paisley 10k

Alison Lessels, John McBride, Sandy Hayden and I headed to Paisley on Sunday morning for their annual 10k round the town.

For me it was a return to racing since my recent back trouble and since not having put in very many training miles I knew that there was little chance of taking advantage of the reported fast course and gaining a PB.

The Paisley event has grown steadily over the recent years to what is now akin to an almost full on Mass Participation event with all the bells and whistles including the local radio station, aerobic warmer uppers and all the tents and stalls you’d normally see at a big event.

With all the local star performers lining up including Callum Hawkins, Robert Gilroy, Tewodle Mengisteab among others, it looked as though this was the course to bring together all the summers training. All in all there were 1276 declared finishers and as usual this was made up from the hard nosed club elites all the way through to the fun runners (and walkers!).

The weather certainly behaved, it being sunny and clear with only a breeze coming out of the west and quite warm in the sun.

The town Centre of Paisley was devoid of traffic enabling the race to start on Gilmour Street, a turn left in to Gauze Street and round Lawn Street bringing us back onto Gauze Street and past the imposing Abbey and Town Hall. From there a right turn down Moss Street and left past the Sheriff Court and out to the West end going as far as the old Linwood car plant before routing on to a cycle path which brought the race back in to the town and down the fast finish of High Street and back in to Gilmour Street. So yes, a fast course with only some minor hills.

With all the runners assembled (the Harriers had taken their respective starting positions following wishes of a successful run) the claxon sounded and off we went. The usual starting stampede saw me do the first mile in sub 6 m/m pace although that soon settled to something a bit more comfortable. Going through the 6k marker my lack of training was beginning to tell and for a while had to labour to keep any sort of pace going although entering the cycle path (which reminded me of some Parkrun courses!) I again settled to a nice pace.

Heading down the High Street with only 400m to run I found myself battling for position with another runner, he passed me and with the line in site I thought I could take him only for him to be gee’d on and warned by the spectators that I was closing which resulted in him sprinting to the finish and beating me fair and square.

After the machinations of going through the funnel – being handed a banana, being handed a bottle of water, being handed a medal and being handed a drinking cup (clearly the 5p polly bag tariff has had wide reaching implications!) and getting my tag pliered off my shoe whilst performing a juggling act I walked round to see the other harriers come in.

Next up was John finishing strong and seeing off some fast finishers trying to out sprint him (he was having none of it though!) then it was Alison again finishing strong on her very welcome return to racing. I waited a while longer but did not see Sandy finish and on scouring the results cannot see her (Sandy please correct this as appropriate).

Callum Hawkins won the race in an astounding 29.24, followed by Kamil Sieraki in 30.41 and then Tewodle in 30.48. Robert was next to cross the line in 30.59.

The contingent of Harriers finished;

Martin Howell  - 138th with a chip of 41.54
John McBride  -   402nd with a chip of 47.55
Alison Lessels -   463rd with a chip of 49.28

As I mentioned I cannot see Sandy on the results.

So some steady performances all round – for me a tentative return with hopes of getting back on form for the remainder of the calendars events. John slightly down on his best but nursing a performance limiting cold and Alison quickly getting back to her form.

The ever-present Kenny Phillips was on hand taking multitudes of photographs; these can be seen on his Facebook page.
Martin Howell


5 comments:

CoachAD said...

Martin, a very thorough report. Well done to all the Harriers and I hope Sandy finished OK. Photo provided will be added when I have access to a PC.
Alan

CoachAD said...

Martin, a very thorough report. Well done to all the Harriers and I hope Sandy finished OK. Photo provided will be added when I have access to a PC.
Alan

sandy Hayden said...

Hi Martin! Sorry I didn't finish, unfortunately my foot went and was unable to continue! Hopefully have sorted before TTC. Anyways well done to everyone else :)

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Great report Martin. As I said about Richards race report it is good when people take the time to write a race report. These can be useful from knowing the course to parking and changing facilities. I did Paisley last year and I felt it had the potential to be a fast race and one I would certainly consider doing again in the future.

Julie

Martin H said...

Good to hear from you Sandy - I hope your foot recovers. Sorry I missed you on Sunday.