Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 August 2015

SVHC Glasgow 800 10k Road Race Pollok Park

Frances with Geo still "on the leash"
With Summer arriving last weekend, the veteran runners were out in large numbers for the annual SVHC Glasgow 800 10k Road Race on Sunday. Prior to the start, the most common remark heard was that it was too hot! We have just waited all Summer for some sun, so I wasn't complaining, it was the same heat and the same course for everyone (well almost everyone).

A common problem with this race over the years is the conflict between cars on the single track road passing the Police recreation grounds and the mass field starting on that same road with no space to pass cars. Well, for the two SVHC races on this course so far this year, the SVHC have solved this problem by starting the race on the middle road which is closed to traffic and runs parallel to the road originally used. The only disadvantage is that it turns a very flat two and a half lap course into a quite hilly two and a half lap course so fast times are less likely.

The initial start is briefly uphill followed by a slight downhill and then the major climb to the high point of the middle road. At this point we turn left onto the twisty path leading steeply back down to the main drive at the allotments, which we follow out onto Haggs Road and take a clockwise circuit back around to the main gate into Pollok Park. A hundred metres or so into the park we turn left and descend, skirting the edge of the Burrell Collection car park and joining the main drive (past the Heelan Coos). Another few hundred metres later we turn sharp right back up the middle road to complete the first of two and a half laps. The final half lap finishes at Cartha Rugby Club at the Haggs Road entrance to the park.

Four Harriers turned up to race, Russell Couper, Frances Maxwell, Geo Ferguson and myself whilst Stuart and Maud Waugh and Eddie Reid were there to support. Frances was in post injury, pre-marathon training mode whereas I was needing a good performance here as the race was counting towards Scotland team selection for the vets international cross country. I noticed a few of the M50 vets in contention for places in attendance and knew I would have to run well, despite taking a few days off with a strained quad (Islay Half residual damage!). On the off, the initial pace was too fast so I hung back a little. However, by the end of the first km I had drifted through the slowing field to what would be my final position. The first lap was hard but controlled but on the second time up the hill at the start of lap 2 I felt that I had "over reached" and was starting to fade.

Although I was slipping further away from the runner in front, I also seemed to still be pulling away from those chasing as there was increasing silence behind and a comfortable gap between cheers for me and cheers of support for the next runners. Isolated on the second lap, I made the wrong choice at an un-marshalled Y-junction but the marshall was only 10 metres away and shouted me back, so no time lost there. Unfortunately, Robert Gilroy had been so far in front of the field at this point that he beat the marshall and went way off course (for the second time this year on this course). It was not until I was starting the climb for the final time that I heard someone approaching very rapidly. I knew I could not respond as I was crawling up the hill this time but I was relieved to hear a voice behind me say "Haw, Alan, I've gone off course again!". It was Robert rapidly trying to catch up the field and not someone racing me for an M50 position. Funnily enough, the further up the hill I went, the better I felt this time and I started to run quite well again for the final km and was able to cross the line unchallenged in 13th position and, as I later found out, first M50. The time was probably my worst 10k time on record (37:10) but everyone was down by minutes today, so that is not so important. Frances and Geo had been running together but eventually Frances let Geo off the leash, an opportunity which he gladly took. In the final straight, a shout from Stuart and Eddie warned Geo of two fast approaching runners and Geo took off very impressively to out sprint them to the line in 47:19.
Geo responds to the shout of "They're Behind You"

Frances ran in less than a minute later in 48:04, somewhat down on her usual times but not surprising given the significant amount of training missed due to injury. However, these were useful miles of training for the marathon. I knew before the start that the combination of heat and hills would not suit Russell and so it turned out as he, by his own admission, really struggled. Russell finished in 61:57, which is not a fair reflection on the improved form that Russell has been demonstrating in recent months.

Robert Gilroy finished in 10th position in 36:40, two and a half minutes down on the winner (Kenneth Campbell). Given that Robert had been minutes in front when he went of course, this shows how far off course he went. In a day that was unlucky for those named Robert, stalwart of the veteran racing scene and top GB M70 (or maybe M75 now) internationalist, Bobby Young had a very nasty accident when he tucked in behind a runner to run single file past a car and did not see a speed hump which he tripped over and cracked his head on the ground. Two runners stopped to help him and by the time we saw him at the finish, he seemed to be OK but with a nasty cut to the head. Hard as nails these vets, so Bobby will be back racing soon. A huge thanks to Stuart, Maud and Eddie for their support on the course. More of Eddie's photos are here.
Alan
Bobby Young with nasty cut to the head.

No comments: