Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 14 July 2013

PB Saturday @ Glasgow Pollok parkrun

After running a course PB on Thursday’s Auldhouse Time Trial by 36 seconds in 23:15, I thought I would be in good form to have a go at challenging my stubborn 5k PB of 23 mins which I did at Strathclyde Parkrun in July 2011 and do the Glasgow Pollok Parkrun.

With the temperature around 20c, Emma and I made our way to Pollok Park to tackle our PBs.  When we arrived we went for warm up run and bumped into Big John McBride to make it a trio representing the Harriers at the event.  We all lined up near the front of the run despite the announcer stating the runners at the front will run about 18 mins, we decided to stay at the front to ensure a good quick start.

After a quick start keeping up with the main pack Emma and I slowed to ensure I had a good chance for PB and by about 1k Emma was out of sight.  Then between 1k and 2k Big John went passed me despite his pre-run complaints about stiff legs from Moffat and Auldhouse Time Trial.  So like when I do Chatelherault with John, I dug deep and stayed close to him as much as I could around the next 3k.

1st Harrier home was Emma with a 3 second PB time of 21:52. Despite a PB she felt she could have lowered her time further, as about 250 metres to go she pulled up to be sick. With the help of a marshall who offered her a tissue to clean up, she quickly dusted herself down and got back on her feet as she thought her old Dad would be on for a good time and blasted the last 200 metres as a sprint finish to ensure she was quicker.

Next in was Big John with a 34 second PB of 22.02 showing that he is on fine form this year and then there was me.  As I was approaching the last bend to the final climb towards the finish my watch was about 19.30 so I dug in to ensure I could get a good time and as I crossed the line I was frightened to look at my watch....my time was a smashing 22:24.  My previous best Glasgow Pollok parkrun was 23.23 in March 2010.

Emma’s official parkrun result was she finished in 54th place and the 2nd Lady out of a field of 333 parkrunners and came 1st in her age category JW14.
Richard

Great performances from all 3 Harriers, making the most of the fantastic running weather we are now experiencing. Funny to see that Emma had a fantastic potential excuse that a senior harrier would have been proud of for not getting a pb and yet she still got a pb and was second lady! That's the Harriers' spirit!
Alan

No comments: