Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 14 March 2011

Inverness Half Marathon

An intrepid Davie Searil and wife Alison decided that the weather in south west Scotland was not bad enough for them at the weekend and so headed north to Inverness for the Half Marathon. Davie reports as follows:

The wimps at Springburn yesterday and the namby-pamby footballers in Inverness today might have fainted at the sight of a wee bit of spring snow but us EK folk are a hardier bunch!
Alison & I drove around 90 miles up the Great Glen from the Ben Nevis Hotel in Fort William with a 25 mile diversion along the way due to a downed power cable at Fort Augustus. We began to wonder if we would make it in time as the diversion took us higher into the hills, up and over a bealach with four-foot high snow on either side of the road.
I then ran in bitterly cold wind, sleet and rain, through massive puddles and slush (often both together).

I somehow ran 1:49:32, my fastest, by a long way, for two years - 490th from 1120 finishers and 10th M+55. I know, I know - I don't look a day over 65. The overall winner was Andrew Douglas of Inverclyde in 1:07:53 and the female winner was Mellisa Whyte of the home town harriers in 1:20:31.

Very well done to Davie, sneaking back into great form. A few Harriers will now need to take note!

Alan

No comments: