Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 25 April 2010

Highland Fling Relay

A smattering of Harriers distributed themselves across the bottom half of the West Highland Way on Saturday participating in the Highland Fling Race and Relay over the 53 miles between Milngavie and Tyndrum. Ian Rae and Benny Rooney were competing in the full race and we await a full stride-by-stride report from them as soon as they have recovered enough strength to write one! Our intrepid president Frances Maxwell sends the following report:

" I got a call from Benny Rooney on Thursday night asking if I would like to run in his mixed relay team at the Highland Fling. I agreed. Then I thought, what have I let myself in for. He was short of 2 runners. He got another female from Bellahouston Road Runners (Clare - don't know her surname). He assured me that I would get the first leg as there was less chance of me getting lost due to the mass start. Late on Friday I spoke to Benny again and he told me there had been a change of plan and that Clare from Bella would be running the first leg. I was now doing the last leg. Beinglass to Tyndrum!! You know how I just loved that a couple of years ago! I was taking over from David Gray who took over from Grant. My run was steady and I managed to pick off a number of relay runners and to my absolute amazement we got first mixed team. I really can't believe it. I only encountered one problem and that was the herd of cows on the path behind the farm before your get to the Harriers change over point. I think my time was around 1 hour 50 mins. I 've told Ian to let you have a report as he and Benny completed the 53 miles in very respectable times."

Meanwhile, Joanne McEvoy was making her regular appearance in Benny's ladies team. Joanne was assigned the 14.7 mile leg from Drymen to Rowardennan (only a few hills to deal with there!). Not an easy task if you have been out injured for a month or so as Joanne has. A great team effort earned them second place in the ladies team event.

Well done to all who took part in one of the great Scottish running events.
Alan

No comments: