Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 25 April 2010

Weekend Racing

In addition to the Harriers participating in the Highland Fling, we had a few more Harriers competing at a variety of distances over the weekend. On Saturday Russell Couper joined another 300+ field for the Pollok Park 5k parkrun where, from my vantage point as a marshal, he seemed to be going fine. However I am sure Russell was not too pleased with his time of 25:26.

Meanwhile Jim Holmes was making his first Strathclyde Park 5k parkrun appearance. A much smaller field of 82(ish) took part and Jim finished 10th in a time of 19:25 (Jim subsequently confirmed that his time was actually 19:52 and that a couple of runners were missing from the results, placing him in 12th rather than 10th position). During the race the field had to contend with the usual dogs and a boat race with supporters/coaches tracking the race on bikes!

On Sunday, David Wardrope was our sole representative in the London Marathon. David completed in a time of 3:52:46. We look forward to a race report when David makes it back to the club.

Well done to all who raced at the weekend.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

London Marathon

My family and travelled down to London on Thursday 22nd for my 8th London Marathon. There is a real advantage of having family staying in London, especialy as I knew my eating would not be a problem as my brother in law Dhruv as recently just won BBC'S Masterchef, this also allowed for me to go registraion and spend some time wondering around the marathon expo on the friday withouth the kids saying we're bored we want to go home etc.

I was up and out the hotel by 7.00am on the Sunday to make my way over to blackheath for the start, I arrived at the start at about 8.30am given me just over an before the start. No sooner had I changed into vest and shorts, handed over my baggage then the heavens opened. Its amazing how many people can fit into a marquee.
I made my way over to my starting pen (pen 4) with about half an hour to the start.I was hoping to run between 3 hrs 35mins and 3hrs 45mins (approx 8.15 / 8.30per mile). At just after 9.45am we were off and then we weren't as all that seemed to happen for the 1st mile was we started and stopped this resulting in a 9min 20 sec,after this I settled into my stride and was really enjoying then onto Edinburgh for the marathe run until about 22miles. At 22 miles my time was 3 hrs 4mins, well on for a sub 3:45,shortly after 22 miles I had to stop for a pee. Trying to get started after this was a nightmare as my legs had seized up, meaning my pace became much slower for the last 4 miles. I finished in 3hrs 52mins 46secs a bit outside my pb,but still my best marathon for a good few years. Once I had collected my baggage I met up with my wife and kids and posed for some photos with my medal. Then it was back to Dhruv's house for a shower and a well deserved meal.

Its a rest for a week or so for me then onto Edinburgh for the marathon on 23rd May,I'm running this one with 2 first timers from my work, we are raising funds for Calum's Cabin (www.calumscabin.com)