Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 21 October 2019

Salomon Skyline


I might be a little late with this report but so many people seem intrigued by this event. A couple of weeks ago we travelled North to Glen Coe to take part in a Salomon Skyline event. Still fuelled by chicken pie from the day before I began my warm-up around Kinlochleven, with both nerves and excitement brewing. Next was the mandatory kit check, where a head torch, nutrition, and waterproofs among other items had be carried, as our ultra runners will know its a no kit, no race policy.

I was running the Three Mealls Skyrace, departing Kinlochleven at 8.40 a steady climb through the tree line across rivers and over rocks was taken for the first 2 and a half miles before climbing on to more serious exposed ridges and basic Grade 1 scrambling across Devils Ridge before eventually depending into Glen Nevis. at this point I passed a runner who on closer inspection happened to be Lochaber and Mountain Equipment Runner Finlay Wild, 10 time winner of the Ben Nevis race and an international elite sky runner, I was in the wrong company at least for just now. Don't worry as soon as he started running he passed me. The story goes that Finlay was leading the race only to encounter a problem, injury and so JOGGED to the Finish.  A power walk followed up the next exposed section where a steep and uneven descent was met.

The final 3 miles were completely downhill, across bog land and back down into Kinlochleven. At this point very good mountain runners from all around the world had started to pass me, and this is while I thought I was descending at a fast pace. The final 500m into Ice factor was the most enjoyable I think I had ever ran ,managing to hold my position until the final descent. I finished in 36th position overall, (3 hours 56 Mins for the 18 mile course) despite being the youngest in the field.

The race was one by Nadir Maguet of Team La Sportiva. I quickly refilled with a coffee and a well deserved piece of cake and rejoice in what I can only describe as a completely epic race, with a surprise result. The hill running certainly works. Finally this is a great event and so is sky running in general but its definitely something that requires craziness, fearlessness (which I have yet to develop), mountaineering experience and a careful build up. Back to the trails for now. This race helped me to decide that next year I want to focus on mountain running and sky running. See Kenny, there's somebody as insane as you.

Chris

3 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done Chris. The 4 hills should be no problem to you now!
Alan

Kenny said...

Chris, well done, a great position in such a long recover such difficult terrain.

Karen said...

Well done Chris, sounds like you had a great day out :)