Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 13 January 2019

SVHC XMAS HANDICAP





The 3 Amigos

The rescheduled xmas handicap took place in Clydebank today in what can only be described as fairly good but windy conditions. Martin Howell and Andrew Buchanan joined me for their first run at this event as guests and put down good markers for coming years. Its a 5 mile run along the canal bank turning at 2.5 and running back to Clydebank. start times are based on your declared estimate and in my case as a previous winner I get a double whammy. The first of 19 runners was off at 1.30pm Andrew had a handicap of 28 mins and Martin 26 mins. I know what your thinking Russell must have started about 16 mins after the first runner, "WRONG" I was on 24 mins. I started with 2 Ladies both of whom are faster than me but I just had to try and hold on. I ran the first mile faster than I had planned due to recent hamstring trouble but was comfortable with the run so far and was hanging onto the Ladies. Martin then passed me just after a mile in and running strongly. During the next mile a few more came by and I hit my plann
Ada Stewart sporting a Trail Race T Shirt
ed pace for the second mile but the Ladies had stretched away. Onto mile 3 and Andrew came past with a few others then we hit the turning point and as I turned I could see the last 2 starters where only 10 and 20 metres behind me and now we're running into a headwind all the way back. The last two runners made short work of passing me despite the elbows out tactic ( that paths just too wide ) and were soon out of sight. Now sitting in last place through mile 3 on pace but nobody in sight. Despite the wind I was only 10 and 5 secs off the planned pace over the last 2 miles coming home in 41.38, 22secs ahead of my estimate. Martin had finished in 4th place I think with 33.52 and 3.38 faster than his prediction ( hes marked down as dodgy from now on ). Andrew finished in 7th place I think in 31.49 just 11secs faster than his prediction ( more like it ), Many thanks to Neil Green and Lorraine Buchanan with kids for geeing us up and holding the jackets.




No comments: