Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Friday 13 July 2018

Tour of Fife - Mid Way

Well, It's the Tour Of Fife once more, 5 night - 5 races in different locations and over different terrain and distances.

It's my 10th year of competing, although not consecutive due to a few injuries. Joanne's 3rd year.

I have to say that, it's all a bit underwhelming this year. It's the same races (although 2 are run in reverse), no goody bags and nothing at the start...where is the start? No marker, flags or anything to make it look or feel special. It gives you the impression that the organizers just can't be bothered. Numbers are well down with 182 and it wasn't fully subscribed. I used to have to go on to a waiting list. Someone needs to take note!

Anyway, we are here to enjoy it and experience the races.

Day 1 - West Sand, St Andrews - Beach Race 3.9 miles
St Andrews is the furthest away race and I wanted to get there early to pick up numbers, say a few hello's and get organized. This wasn't to be the case as Kincardine bridge was closed and with early finishers trying to get home to watch England getting beat, it was a nightmare and we only arrived 40 minutes before the race started. The warm up was minimal and this really took it's toll as everyone went off like the clappers. The first mile was horrendous, Joanne said the same. There was about 1.5 miles on nice wet sand and made decent running conditions. The tide was well out and you had probably 800m wide of sand to run on, but as usual in races, it's follow the leader. The beach then curves to the left and everyone comes off the wet sand and tries to take the curve as tight as they can. It's you choice, you can stay on the wet which is faster, but you'll be several 100m wide of the rest. At this point it became very had work as the sand changed and every foot step sank 2" deep. The turning point wasn't far ahead and the leaders were passing me on both sides as some opted the shortest route over dry sand and others ran wide looking for a better footing. At last, after turning, I started to find something and began passing people on the way back. There's a flag pole half a mile from the finish and I was longing for it to appear. At last I'm close enough to see the finish and a funnel which had been erected after the start. I finished 102nd - 33.09 and Joanne 50th (8th female) - 28.14. Times don't mean much as it was very difficult conditions. Having ran the Sandy Slither a few weeks ago which was 2 mile longer, this was much tougher.

Day 2 - East Lomond, Falkland - Hill Race 3.7 miles
Today we arrived in plenty of time, 2 hours to spare, so that allowed a good recce of the route. For those that are familiar with Falkland, head up from the factories, up the stairs and turn right on to the trail. They don't want us to run up stairs, so there's a bit of trail that take you round them. The race starts with a very steep climb for about 500m, then a hairpin left which is slightly easier and flattens out before a few stairs, through the gate and that's you on to the hill side. We recced all of that and went back down the stairs as it's the shortest way back. This was good to know, plus when talking to the race leader Ben Huskins, his plan was to attack the hill to get a good position and go for it on the way down.

Race time....Once you hit the hill, there's no chance of running, everyone was bent over gasping for breath. I kept thinking, "I wish Alan was here, just to see if he could actually run up it?"I felt I was doing okay as I was walking past people with my hands on both knees and searching for a better route. Eventually I can see people straighten up at the top and out of sight, my turn soon and I can't wait. A gentle jog past the monument at the top to get my breath back and I'm off down the hill side. It's a bit gung ho and I was brave/lucky not to take a tumble as you don't know what's under the heather/long grass. Once at the foot of the hill there's still maybe 2 miles of down hill. I knew I was running well as there was people around me that I hadn't seen for years. Running down Maspie Den was great compared to having to run up it last. I thought the race was finishing at the the DB change over point, but we came down the tar path with the hedges to my left and finished just before the duck pond.
Me - 86th 38.58 - 90th overall.Joanne - 52nd 34.59 11th (female) - 49th Overall, there's 5 females ahead and Joanne is in the next group of 5 with 40 secs between the top - bottom.

Day 3 - Kirkcaldy Promenade  - 1 mile Time Trial
So it's day 3 tonight. Legs are much better than last year due to the reverse route on East Lomond. This side was more runable at a fast pace whereas you were using your quads to break all the time last year as it was just too steep.

George

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Well done George and Joanne. I really get a sense of the race from your reports. Wish I was there. And of course I would have run up East Lomond!!..... maybe.
Alan