Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 July 2018

The Sandy Slither


Sandy Slither - Scotland's most scenic coastal race, following a stunning 6.1 mile route from Lower Largo to Elie. The course covers beach, dunes, road, footpaths and the crossing of the Cocklemill Burn. It's taken me a bit longer to write this than usual, but I guess I need to face the music and put pen to paper. 5 harriers headed to Fife to take part in this wee cracker of a race. Conditions were ideal, and with it being a beach race, you kind of expect a nice warm sunny evening...and that's what we got.

The actual course is point to point, so you do need to make transport arrangements. Ian Hughes was taking his car as well which allowed us both to meet in Elie and for me to take all 5 to Lower Largo for the start. As per usual, it's an ideal location....in a small car park, next to a public toilet, £4 on the night, name, age, M/F, and are you a SA member yes or no?
The race starts on the road which allows you about 400m to get into position before you hit the first beach. I was right behind Alan and thought that I had started well. Ian and Joanne were off in front as usual and won't be seen until the end. The first beach is horseshoe shaped and about 2.5 miles long. Once you cross the stream and hit the caravan park you are past half way.

After a mile or so, Alan was moving away from me as the terrain starts to bite. This beach had a lot of stones, seaweed and wet patches etc, so you do need to stay alert and do a bit of hurdling over the rocks. I was soon out on my own and could hear a pack closing in on me. I got a shout from a few local runners "come on George!" and looked up to acknowledge them. I had to blink a few time as I thought I could see a yellow and black vest tucked in with them. I was right!....Mr Ultra runner himself, the one and only David Searil. Where did he come from? There's wasn't a lot I could do about it as you tend to be giving almost 100% on sand.

Before too long we are heading through the caravan park and on to the cliff tops. Distance wise it's probably close to a mile up and down with the path only wide enough for one. It's just your luck if you get caught behind someone. Note that all the slower runners went off 10 minutes early, so there is a bit of "litter" ahead.

Eventually down the narrow steps on to beach number 2, this is only about half a mile and it's over very quickly. You come off through a golf course and negotiate a few streets before dropping down a few steep steps (Alan went over on his ankle here) and on to the last beach. Nice golden sand and just 1 mile to go to the finish....it can't come quick enough.

Our times were:
Ian 31 - 45.50
Joanne 41 - 46.49
Alan 56 - 50.08
David 86 - 54.42
George 87 - 55.15...yes 1 place behind!

All 5 said that it was a fantastic race and will be back next year.
George

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done George. Its all part of your therapy recognising that you have to give up the keys to the Kingdom of Fife to Davie and head west for the winner takes all WHW.

Looks like a real fun race. Wish I could finish work early enough to do these mid-week Summer races.
Alan

Davie Searil said...

Very gracious in defeat George especially as it hasn't happened since Grangemouth many years ago. It is indeed a fantastic race and I'm grateful you flagged it up to the club, it would be great to have even more harriers racing next year. I fully intend running it again even though I would be confident our respective positions would be reversed.
A date for your diary - the West Highland Way Race opens for entries on the 1st of November!