Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 December 2017

AYR TURKEY TROT

After waking up to snow on the ground six Harriers made their way down to Ayr for the boxing day 10k. We were accompanied by Gordons partner Marion. David Searil was first down as 10k isn't long enough for him having entered the 5k also. As the rest started arriving David was already lining up for his first race and completing the 5k in 24.40 (chip time 24.36 ) in 36th place from 102 runners. Good time for a warmup. Next event up was the 10k starting at noon and we all met up after some warmups to wish each other a merry Christmas and good luck for the race. Just before the off we discovered that the course was changed so it would be course bests all round. The gun goes and were away Quickly passed by Marion, Gordon McInally and Graham Ramage then shortly later David Searil and John Boyd this just left Allison Johnston behind me and knowing how well she has been running lately I would need to run well to stay in front. The course had a slight change to the start with the start being beside the Citadel centre instead of on the prom but it ran immediately onto the prom and the first 3k along it as it used to be. At 3k we used to run up beside the river and back into the houses but today we crossed the bridge and continued on the cycle path for another 2k before turning round a marshall and heading back the same way this unfortunately included a steep hill up to Greenan Castle which I have to say wiped me out with my slowest mile of the race. The new out and back does afford you the luxury of seeing everyone heading in the opposite direction the first of these being one of our past members Stuart Gibson who won the race in 32.49 and after declared it was a bit sluggish (wish I could be that sluggish). As I got up the top of the hill on the way out I seen Graham and Marion heading back and they were probably the best part of a kilometre in front of me. A while later as I could see the turning point I passed John, Gordon and David heading back probably between 1.5min to 2.5mins in front of me. Round the marshall and heading back and next I see Allison about a minute behind me. Going back down the hill I never really felt any advantage as the legs felt shot and with 3k to go were back on the prom and a long run in to the finish. Marion beat us all home with a time of 46.57 (46.51) 110th place followed by Graham 120th 47.33 (47.26) we then had a gap to John 157th 50.19 (50.07) followed closely by David 160th 50.45 (50.37). Not too far behind and still improving on his comeback was Gordon 182nd 51.56 (51.49) another wee gap then Russell 222nd 55.43 (55.36) and Allison 241st  57.27 (57.15). Weather conditions were just about perfect for running with dry sunny sky with some puddles on the ground.

No comments: