Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 19 April 2015

Loop O' the Loch

Spectacular weather conditions greeted the 6 Harriers when they arrived in Callander on Saturday morning for the inaugural Loop O' the Loch 16 mile trail race. The race route will be familiar to those who participated in the 2014 TTC as it uses exactly the same lap of Loch Venachar as our long Sunday run, except that you have the extra mile each way to run from and back to Callander Meadows for the start finish. As if the lap of the loch was not far enough!

Frances Maxwell had entered the race some weeks ago and I had been drawn in as it was a local race for me if somewhat (i.e. very) over-distance. During the week Eddie Reid had also decided to do it, despite lingering hip flexor problems, and, last of the late runners, Davie Searil had decided the night before that this race would be a good warm-up for the Highland Fling (50 odd miles) next weekend, which itself is his warm-up for the full West Highland Way Race (96 miles) in June! So the full range of levels of trepidation were on display. Sandra Reid and Geo Ferguson were the sensible ones taking in a gentle training run of about 10 miles in the reverse direction along the course, providing us with very welcome support.

The event incorporated a 16 mile mountain bike race and a 32 mile duathlon (one lap on the mountain bike followed by a lap running). There were only 2 entries for the duathlon who set off with the mountain bike racers 10 minutes before the running race started. About 30-40 runners lined up at 10:10 and we were off along the old railway line route towards Kilmahog. Three of us set off at a speed that felt like 10 mile road race pace rather than 16 mile severe trail race pace. For the second week in a row, I glanced at my watch and noticed sub 6 minute mile pace but this week decided not to slow down but to stick with it until the field thinned out and the climbs started. Three of us were soon clear, the eventual winner (a local lad who I know is way faster than me) who was gradually extending his lead and a young lad who was blowing out his ears from the word go. He continued to hang on through the first few climbs and the drop down to Invertrossachs road beside the loch. I really wanted to say to him that he should ease back a bit as this was not a 10k but on the longish climb past the sailing club, he dropped back and I had peace and quiet for the rest of the race.

The loch was like a mirror and with the sun shining it really was a great experience. Although I have been training on these hilly lochside trails for much of my life, I have never raced over them and so it was interesting to note just how quickly the various familiar landmarks were coming up. However, I was not pushing too hard as I knew the massive climb and roller coaster that awaited me in the second half. A body swerve around a highland cow introduced me to Brig O Turk and a mile or so later the single water station at the base of "The Climb". The marshalls advised me that the leader was 2 minutes in front and I replied that he was thoroughly deserving of his lead and I had no intention of trying to give chase! A sip of water and I was off, running steadily all the way for the approximately 500 foot ascent, taking about 16 minutes. At this point I started to catch and pass some mountain bike racers but fortunately none came past me as we eventually started to descend as the trail was a bit narrow and twisty. It was at the highest point that Sandra and Geo were waiting to cheer and take photos. The next few miles of roller coaster trail were gradually down hill but interspersed with sharp ascents bringing the lactic acid to the fore in the quads. Finally we approached the turn onto the railway/cycle path and the prospect of an easy final mile to the finish. Unfortunately, the legs were not too keen on the flat part of the course and this was probably the hardest mile of all! As I crossed the line, the bagpipes struck up and a very pleasant run was over (for me) in a time of 1:48:41, way faster than I had anticipated and second position overall. Craig Harvey was the winner, some 5 minutes in front whilst the young lad who had been struggling early on came storming through at the finish about 4 minutes behind me. Well done to him! Eddie had a similar experience to me in the last mile with his legs not wanting to know but was pleased and injury free when he crossed the line in 2:05:24 and second super vet (the age group starting at 51 years rather than 50 strangely). Frances was next in, just losing out in the female super vet category to finish in an excellent 2:12:38. Davie was his usual totally relaxed self when he crossed the line in a very relaxed 2:36:53, looking ready for another lap or two.

We all received an excellent goody bag and plentiful tea and coffee from the organisers' camper van parked at the finish line and are keen to do this one again (although, local knowledge tells me that the weather may not be quite as good the next time!). Calderglen Harriers now have a new friend in the shape of a new start-up ginger sports drink manufacturing company, started up by two Hunters Bog Trotters members (yes, I know, there are a lot of words there you do not normally see together in a race report), who were giving out  free samples at the race. Watch this space!

A huge thanks to Sandra and Geo for the support and photos. The day was rounded off with the traditional lunch at the Lade Inn.
Alan


3 comments:

Davie Searil said...

Time really does stand still in Callander, I didn't get to do my Alf Tupper impression of tucking into my fish and chips until after half-four and Alan calls it lunch - I was chewing my finger nails through hunger by then!

CoachAD said...

Davie, I think we call that "Dunch" locally! I was self destructing too by the time we ate.
Alan

Kenny said...

Sounds like a really great race, sorry I missed it. I have sent a report to the EK News so look out for some photos in the paper.